Umbongo WOW Variant

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviec_lj

Reaction score
Well, this has been done a few times before after a quick search, but thought I would pop my recipe up too.

Just a single DJ of this on the go at the moment, the kids have drunk more of the juice than I'd anticipated, so have I really, it always was nice!

So...

1ltr Lidl Red Grape Juice - Not from Concentrate
2ltr UmBongo Congocoction - Juices from Concentrate 19% (Apple, Lemon, Orange, Pineapple, Passion Fruit, Mandarin), Fruit Purée 1% (Apricot, Guava, Mango)
1.4ltr Water
450g Sugar
Pectolase
Tannin - 3 Bag cup of Tea
Youngs Nutrient
Youngs Super Wine Yeast

Already bubbling away! Should come out at around 9% when finished.

Not sure whether to add a spoon of Glycerine to the mix or not. I suppose I could always wait a little, have a taste and see what its like at a later date.

Wouldn't mind trying this. I used to love umbongo when I was a kid.
Is that umbongo congocoction available anywhere? Didn't know you could still get it?

Wouldn't mind trying this. I used to love umbongo when I was a kid.
Is that umbongo congocoction available anywhere? Didn't know you could still get it?

Umbongo is brilliant! I remember reading somewhere, I believe it was on this very forum, that if it tastes good before it ferments, it will taste good after it ferments. So, it should taste fantastic!!

Umbongo is on offer in Tesco at the moment, half price, so an even better time to try it out!

Shall be doing a WGJ version, once I find a supplier for the WGJ that is!

That sounds Lovely!
How is it getting along? I tried to make one with a fruit cocktail mix, but it was made with a lot of fruit purée, this gave me loads of problems with pulp

Same problem with a straight mango juice (rubicon)

I only made them in one litre batches and neither did I water them down with the gj for example

Maybe that's why I had such trouble

:)

im just about to do this but different

5 ltr umbongo
some glycarine
and the usual tannin yeast etc

wanted to try it without the grape juice to see what its like

Back