Update: Pics added - Draught Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
After working so hard yesterday on my Belgian Dubbel, I went to the kegerator to grab a rewarding pint of Thirst Gold. The keg had the nerve to spit foam at me!!! :evil:

So I have no beer on tap now, just the Mrs' cider. I did, however, find an empty FV that I thought I had retired. It was perfectly fine. So I've cleaned that up and will be brewing something quick and dirty that I can immediately throw on tap. A low gravity stout. Golden Promise, Flaked Barley, and Roast Barley. S-04 will have to do the job. Bittering with Target and adding Goldings for aroma. That will give me three full FVs.

I'll try to snap some pics with my phone since I didn't take any yesterday of the Belgian brew day.

Tomorrow, my mate is coming over to brew a steam beer (California Common) and a stout. My neighbor may be coming over to brew with his gear too. Should be an epic brew day!

Pics:

Need a quick stout recipe. One of my many brew books:
IMAG0135.jpg

Just pale malt and roast. Needed 5.5 pounds of MO and only had 4 so had to add 1.5 of American 2 row. You can see the 2row is lighter.
IMAG0110.jpg

Two pounds of flaked barley
IMAG0111.jpg

Grain is crushed. Did not crush the flaked barley
IMAG0112.jpg

Grain is stirred in, just dumped the flaked barley in to stir
IMAG0113.jpg

My helper, Bella
IMAG0118.jpg

Pretty simple hop charge
Target to bitter and EKG for aroma
IMAG0119.jpg

Mash tun is covered in a lovely beach blanket and settling in for a long mash
IMAG0120.jpg

Mash is complete
IMAG0121.jpg

Start the recirculation
IMAG0122.jpg

Nice and dark!
IMAG0123.jpg

Filling the brew kettle
IMAG0129.jpg

Good boil going now
IMAG0131.jpg

I think many of you use protofloc or something in the kettle. I use whirfloc:
IMAG0133.jpg

Getting ready to chill:
IMAG0132.jpg

Racking from kettle to FV
IMAG0136.jpg

Not as dark as I expected
IMAG0137.jpg

Oops. Better clean that up before Mrs. Baz gets back!
IMAG0138.jpg

Good pitching temp, in F of course since we in the states have not figured out Celsius
IMAG0139.jpg

All done. Belgian Dubbel on the left and draught stout on the right. Empty Sack Bitter is upstairs at 68F to finish. That's 15 gallons I now have in the FVs and all 3 are full!!
IMAG0140.jpg

One of the two thistle glasses Mrs. Baz got me for Christmas. Makes my Wee Heavy taste WAY better
IMAG0141.jpg

:cheers:

-baz

Good work, you're a busy man, it must make you real thirsty :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

After working so hard yesterday on my Belgian Dubbel, I went to the kegerator to grab a rewarding pint of Thirst Gold. The keg had the nerve to spit foam at me
:rofl: :rofl:
I'll try to snap some pics with my phone since I didn't take any yesterday of the Belgian brew day.
Looking forward to them....no pressure :whistle: :grin:

Nice one Barry :thumb: might not have been as dark as you expected but still looks a damn good brew :thumb:

Excellent, brewday, something black as the night that slides down the throat easily is on my list of things to do in the new year.

Message for the dog "Sausages"

UP

nice one baz! You are being a busy boy! What's your recipe for the steam beer? I got one on the other day with wlp810 and it's currently chugging away like mad in the spare room!
:cheers:

Great pics Baz :cool: I reckon that'll be nice and dark in the glass...I can almost smell it from here :drink:
I think all brewers should have a brew hound, very sweet :grin:

Latest posts

Back