Upgrading the yeast with a kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark-S

Reaction score
Hello all
Most of my brewing is via kits, I use Coopers and Youngs as I am based in the UK, Do I need to use a different yeast other than the one provided
if I use 500grams of malt extract and 700 of brewing sugar?

I'd say not necessary need. Kit yeasts usually do the job intended. If you want to improve a kit far better spend your money on extra hops or grain for a steep if it's a one can, or buy a premium kit. And if you have a premium kit that no doubt cost more than £20 is there any real need to spend yet more money?

What's the newer range of CML yeasts like?
I used all their original but struggle with the flocculation..
Is their Trent the same as Notty? Sticks like the brown stuff to blankets??

What's the newer range of CML yeasts like?
I used all their original but struggle with the flocculation..
Is their Trent the same as Notty? Sticks like the brown stuff to blankets??
I have used the Midland. It starts off sticky then seems to get stickier each generation I used. Its very top fermenting and forms a thick yeast krausen which stays long after other yeasts I have used would have dropped. And it sticks to the bottom of the bottles really well. athumb..
I have a beer with 'Four' in the FV at present, which is another English ale yeast. Too early to tell what its like. However they also have 'Five' a US Ale yeast. I wonder if these are related to S-04 and S-05, neither of which I have used as it happens.

John Bull, Tom Caxton and Geordie kits come with s-33 which you might want to swap out for something more appropriate and more flocculant. Don't bin it - keep it for something else. It works well enough with a wheat beer. Or boil it and use it as nutrient.

Latest posts

Back