Urgent help needed with brew in progress (Grainfather)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hi all
Just making my first batch with the Grainfather.
Just starting the boil stage and was giving it a stir across the base (as instructed in the manual) and I’ve inadvertently knocked the pump filter off :doh:

Given I rather not plung my hand into boiling beer to reattach it what are my options? (I have loose hops in there)
Can I simply filter the beer as it comes out the counter flow chiller into the FV and strip the pump and valves after for a thorough clean or do I need to do something more radical?

Boil ends in 50mins so rapid advice appreciated!

Do you have another vessel that can hold the wort? If so you can simply bale it out once the boil is finished, replace the filter, return hot wort (perhaps sieve out hops) and pump through chiller. You may need to re boil an recirculate to sanitise the chiller.

That’s probably my best option but I don’t know I trust my FV To hold boiling water and I don’t have anything else large enough
What kind of fv is it? My brew buckets take boiling water. As @Dads_Ale says, this is your best option. I wouldn’t run the pump without the filter on.
When you get so far down you could tilt your grainfather so you don’t have to empty it completely.

I turned my old Wilco FV into a Boiler so they will easily take boiled wort!

Boiler.jpg

I've done lots of baling from the GF to FV's and the PECO boiler that is supposed to be for sparge water.

Whenever you get an issue with the GF, whether it is knocking out the central pipe, knocking off the pump filter, getting the pump filter clogged or just having a cut-out on the way up to the boil due to excessive gunk post mashing, the answer is always the same. Bale it out into something else and clean out the GF and give it a water-only clean. Then re-assemble and bale it back in. Pasteurisation temps are around the same as mashing temps, so the main consideration is sanitising the counter flow chiller.

You think they'd sort this out...

David Heath never has these problems, but then he does have some real experience of making beer, in advance of the production of the GF. Plus he has a lot of ideas about how to get the best from the equipment that I can only be bothered with to a degree.

Heath also has a metal clip holding his filter on... I've started doing the online trick of installing the filter so the cap is against the thermowell, keeps it a bit more secure.

Glad everything ended well Chris, I did the same thing on my 3rd batch, tried to pump without it and instantly blocked everything up, lots of grumping ensued.

Even three vessel type systems aren't fool proof....on more than one occasion I have settled down either to let the mash do its thing or the boil to get going and noticed a Bazooka filter just lying there.....

Even three vessel type systems aren't fool proof....on more than one occasion I have settled down either to let the mash do its thing or the boil to get going and noticed a Bazooka filter just lying there.....

I'm the "fool" that proves your point ... aheadbutt

... but I have paid a lot less for my calamities than the cost of a GF! :laugh8:

Happened to me once, transferred to fermenter ok, albeit very slowly

Top tip, rotate the filter by 180 degrees (so the black end is up against the temperature probe) making sure the “v” of the pipe into the filter is still facing downwards. Then use a stainless steel hose clamp to hold the filter on.

Back