Using M05 Mead yeast in a beer?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dotzero

Reaction score
I'm an extract brewer and was considering giving mead brewing a go but have since had a change of heart...

I have some Mangrove Jack's M05 Mead yeast though and it seems a waste if I don't use it so thought I could use it for beer.

I see no reason it wouldn't work but it has a high alcohol tolerance of 18%...does this mean it would be super dry beer?

Does anyone think there would be any off flavours?...should i just get my usual yeast at the risk of spoiling a batch of beer?

Would it be good for a big Imperial Stout?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I see time as the major investment in a beer, given that I do AG.
Unless I wanted to do an experiment that I had researched properly, I would not use an experimental yeast on a full length batch.
If you have a 5L glass demi-john, you could try giving it a whirl by splitting a beer batch - 4L with Mead yeast and 19L with beer yeast.

Should the mead yeast be OK, you can easily harvest the trub from the 1st or 2nd racking.

Thanks for your input Slid.

I usually do small 2 Gallon brews so I will do what you suggest and split a batch, ferment out with the different yeasts...and compare the outcome.

Cheers

You don't really get dedicated mead yeasts so I'd assume that this is really a repackaging of a wine yeast. If that's the case then

a) It probably won't metabolise complex carbohydrates, so will give <70% attenuation when faced with typical beer wort

b) >90% of wine yeasts are POF+, which means they produce phenolic compounds in beer wort - the clove taste in wheat beer is the most famous.

So if that assumption of wine yeast is correct then it's not ideal for making beer - but it will make beer.

Cool, thanks for that Northern_Brewer. Might just leave the yeast then.

With all my thinking of yeast though recently I'm going to split a batch and use 2 different strains to compare the outcome...should be an interesting experiment.

With all my thinking of yeast though recently I'm going to split a batch and use 2 different strains to compare the outcome...should be an interesting experiment.
hey, late message but curious on the outcome. I have the same situation. Thanks.

... but it has a high alcohol tolerance of 18%...does this mean it would be super dry beer?
No. It means if there is fermentables it will keep going to 18%.. At which point it is killed by the alc it has produced.

If you want to use this. Try is in a hoppy IPA @18c. Cascade, somthing like that. Should fit in OK.

"M05 Mead Mangrove Jack's Yeast is a high ester-producing strain conferring fresh, floral esters, especially when fermented cool. M05 Mead yeast has high alcohol tolerance and ferments well over a wide temperature range."

Or you could just throw the mead yeast in the fridge until you;re ready to make some mead or cider. It'll be fine in 4-5 years time regardless of the best before date on the packet.

Latest posts

Back