Using tinned fruit.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colin143

Reaction score
Hi all,

Got some carton juice 'wow' on the go at the moment - my 1st attempt so hope it turns out well, looks to be okay at the moment.

Already thinking about my next brew and I want to use tinned fruit - raspberries & morello cherries. My question is, as the raspberries are full of seeds, is it okay to throw them into the FV (with the cherries - obviously no stones) or do I have to press/extract all the juice 1st? Just concerned the seeds may turn the brew sour... Will be adding to a litre of RWJ, etc.

Thanks in advance.

If you use tinned fruit will it taste any better than wine made with 100% juice which is a lot less hassle to make?

If you use a litre of either red grape juice or white grape juice and a litre of apple/raspberry there is only 10% raspberry in the juice but the taste is amazing, if you make it with very strong tasting juice it may turn out like alcopop, i guess making one of each and comparing the two may be the way forward.

Tastes great, much more drinkable & pleasant than my juice based efforts! Got another one on the go, this time with a jar of cherries,tin of raspberries & a tin of blackcurrants - with a litre of RGJ. Turbo cider next!!!

Hi Colin.
just made a nice wine with 3 tins of Sainsbods value peach slices.
The juice went in the FV and started off fermenting.
The fruit was deep frozen then thawed twice. A lot more juice
came off the fruit. I then wrapped the fruit in a bit of muslin
and squeezed it in a potato ricer to get the last of the juice out.
An alternative is to put the solids in a ladies nylon pop sock,
tie a knot in the end and chuck that in the FV.
Pete

just doing a demijon of tinned pitted prunes in apple juice.I picked up a load of cheap tins from a local shop the does out of date stuff
I drained off the juice into a big pan
I put the pitted prunes in a liquidizer and gave the a good old wizz up.
just dumped them in the big pan as well
did a SG which was 1040 which worked out at 79g of sugar per litre
want about 11% at 1090 so need an extra 130g per litre
I have 3 litres of juice and pulp in pan
so i warmed up the juice on stove and dissolved in an extra 520g of brew sugar as intend to make 4 litres. I did not boil just warmed it up to help disolve sugar
so now have nearly 3.5 litres of juice and pulp+ added sugar in pan
I let this cool now SG is 1090
then put into demijon
put a teaspoon on nutrient in and a teaspoon of pectrolase.
made a yeast starter with a little juice that i did not put in demijohn in a jamjar
left that on the side to start off
one starter is going well added to demijohn

as the ferment proceeds I intend to top up with water

it looks orrible but smells beautiful (looks like something you get the day after a curry night)
attachment.php

the bits are now separating some floating some sinking
This is a week in and still bubbling away a fair bit. still smelling good
attachment.php

still smells good looks like most of the pulp is been eaten up. I give it a good shake each day

2014-11-02 15.55.04.jpg

2014-11-02 15.59.17.jpg

It's behaving itself though if it comes out tasting as good as it smells next batch will be done in a big fermenting bucket

Latest posts

Back