Videne - Is it that easy to use

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldbloke said:
Aleman said:
I cannot be arsed to work out the dilution factors, but it is so low as to be meaningless.
It might have a homeopathic action, if it's diluted enough.
:hmm: :hmm: Ah! You Mean The Placebo Effect :D

I have to say I'm a bit gutted to see it's been tested on rabbits, dogs, rats etc and that might be a reason I stop using it. I'm sure most products used for this purpose will have been tested on animals anyway, so it probably either that or use boiling water for everything and that's a monumental PITA.

To my mind though, having reviewed this information, it's clear there's no danger from human consumption in the kind of dilutions we're talking about. The beer's going to do far more long term damage than this every will!

Are we all agreed that 1.25ml per litre is the dilution for videne cos it doesn't say anything about dilution on the bottle as it looks like it's used neat as a scrub up sanitiser in hosps.

Hmmmm........ 1.25ml.............That's going to be interesting to measure out.

I gather that's 1/4 of a teaspoon. It's sugested elsewhere you get hold of a syringe from your local pharmacist............ I don't think so, I can imagine what my local chemist would say if I breezed in asking for drug administering paraphinalia. "I needed it for homebrewing officer"

1/4 of a teaspoon sounds like about 4 or 5 drops from a pipete, that'll do me. :rofl:

Get yourself an oral medicine syringe from the chemist the type you use to give kids medicine. Childrens neurophen comes with a 5ml graduated syringe which is ideal.

mashman said:
It's sugested elsewhere you get hold of a syringe from your local pharmacist............ I don't think so, I can imagine what my local chemist would say if I breezed in asking for drug administering paraphinalia.
Bizarrely (although it may be down to where I live) my local pharmacist operates a needle exchange scheme so getting hold of syringes isn't a problem for me.

As you say 1.25ml is 1/4 of a teaspoon and it is very easy to get hold of measuring sets of spoons in 1/4 , 1/2, 1 tsp and 1 tbs. And these make the job easy for all sorts of brewing things

Never thought of going to chemist for syringes :wha:
I got mine off flebay with a set of blunt needles. Got a range of sizes from 2ml to 50ml which is great for small measuring and for using to get a smooth White head on a pint when served from a polypin :thumb:

Sure do, £6.50 from my local Waitrose, but use so little it really doesn't matter.

tazuk said:
i picked a bottle up from tesco saturday £3.88 for a 500 ml bottle i sure some people pay more than that on here ???

Can you get it in any tesco pharmacy then?

So this is a really cheap alternative to a sanitizer right? I might have to look into getting some when I run out of this youngs powder :)

Base said:
So this is a really cheap alternative to a sanitizer right? I might have to look into getting some when I run out of this youngs powder :)
It's an excellent No rinse sanitiser . . .However it is NOT a cleanser (unlike Youngs and VWP etc which combine the two processes), so the first step is to clean the equipment, then to sanitise. I use Washing Soda or Whizz / Astonish Oxyaction to clean the equipment, and then a no rinse sanitiser to sanitise it (My choice of sanitiser depends on the material being sanitised)

Iodophors in general are very good effective sanitisers (despite what some home brew authors would have you believe ;) )

In fact, some Dairy Iodophors are formulated to act as a cleanser as well, but I've no experience with them, (I'll just have to have a word with my local dairy farmer, who happens to be my horses landlord ;) )

Just out of interest I e-mailed the company that produces Videne to se if they could confirm what would be the best practice use of Videne in the homebrewing theatre.
Not suprisingly they were reluctant to comment and I can understand why as it is out of the realms of it's "normal" use but below is the reply I got.

"We are aware that our product Videne Antiseptic Solution is used for this purpose but because the product is licensed and this application is not listed on the SPC unfortunately we can not offer any advice for this use."

Kind regards

Alison

I'm curious to know who first thought of using a topical skin sanitiser for surgical use in the homebrew environment and how they ended up with the dilution rate for us. It is bordering on the homeopathic as was said in a previous reply

Latest posts

Back