Vinclasse Rioja (Red Wine Kit)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trev

Reaction score
I have done a few beer brews but this is my first wine (after a WoW)

I Visited my LHBS last week to purchase a beaverdale kit and the shop owner told me to try one of his 'own kits' (all labelled with his shop name) as he promised they will be good and offered a refund if I was disappointed. After coming home to start the 'rioccho reservas' kit I have done some internet research to find that it is actually a Vinclasse rioja kit.
Anyway, I paid nearly £39 for the 23 Ltr kit and have made it up tonight. My questions are as follows:

1. Has anyone else made this kit?
2. And if so do you have any tips?
3. Should I have stuck to my guns and bought Beaverdale, I wonder?
4. When I made up the must(?) and took an FG it was only 1064, is this high enough for a red wine (9.3%), can I/should I add more sugar now?

I don't really want to get into the technicalities of advertising as it is definitely a Vinclasse kit (looking at pictures on the internet). I would just like any advice on how to make the best Red wine from the kit - and in the future.

As always your experienced view and advice is most welcome and appreciated.

Trev

Well, the kit was definitely very easy to make up, although being my first red wine kit the concentrate did seem a little bit thin (I expected more of a treacle consistency?).
It has been a very slow, almost dormant, fermentation so far. However, after re-reading the instructions it does state its best to ferment at 20-30c so I have put my heat belt on and is now currently siting at 27c and the fermentation has picked up a bit with a nice froth on the top and some activity through the airlock.

Obviously very early to taste but the little tastes I have had, taste like a very strong blackcurrant cordial, so hopefully some of that taste will survive the fermentation process. Although I am still slightly concerned about the abv 9.3% for a red wine?

As always any experience and advice welcome

Trev

Update at 9:00 - Just went to have a look and now the fermentation is flying, distorted the lid of the FV and filled the airlock and all bubbling out the side :doh: I now have some quick cleaning up to do :!:

Latest posts

Back