Warm Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steeley

Reaction score
Hi Guys, now that the weather is getting hotter, so is my beer, what is the easiest way to keep your king keg cool, I’ve been thinking of buying some of the ice blocks that you can put in your fridge freezer and strapping them to the barrel, but I don’t think they would last long, any ideas would be much appreciated

Soak a towel in the sink/bath. Wring it out so it's wet but not drippy. Throw over the key (and possibly bungie/tie it on if it's loose and floppy). When it dries out, add more water. If further cooling is required, point a fan at it on gentle speed. That should drop it comfortably to ale temperatures

Hi Guys, now that the weather is getting hotter, so is my beer, what is the easiest way to keep your king keg cool, I’ve been thinking of buying some of the ice blocks that you can put in your fridge freezer and strapping them to the barrel, but I don’t think they would last long, any ideas would be much appreciated
Hi Steeley!

@Clint is right, the most effective, least hassle, and most practical solution is a fridge.

If you want to try the freezer block idea then maybe brew English cask style beers that are good served at warmer temperatures and have a look at my experiment doing the kind of thing you’re looking to do. Link below…

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/keg-cooling-jacket-experiment.88945/

This works for me.
1686666246692.png

Second hand tall fridge..replace shelf with plywood. Use fridge for fermentation too.
I was moaning this morning about this whilst in the garage, the wife used a flippant comment, get an old American fridge, she may now have a point

Soak a towel in the sink/bath. Wring it out so it's wet but not drippy. Throw over the key (and possibly bungie/tie it on if it's loose and floppy). When it dries out, add more water. If further cooling is required, point a fan at it on gentle speed. That should drop it comfortably to ale temperatures
This, but put the barrel on a tray full of water with the cloth just touching it. As the cloth dries, it will wick the water out of the tray. Top up and wet out cloth as required.

*Tricks learnt from dad No. 207.

This, but put the barrel on a tray full of water with the cloth just touching it. As the cloth dries, it will wick the water out of the tray. Top up and wet out cloth as required.

*Tricks learnt from dad No. 207.
Think I might try this option with the towel, it will cost me nowt, hopefully it will work, I have 4 barrels 2 filled with beer, 1 lager, 1 mixed berry at the min they are back of the garage, at 20 degs, so I might just throw a towel over them and see

Another thing I've found is that if bottles are left directly on the floor they are much cooler than those stored higher up as the floor acts as a heat sink.

Think I might try this option with the towel, it will cost me nowt, hopefully it will work, I have 4 barrels 2 filled with beer, 1 lager, 1 mixed berry at the min they are back of the garage, at 20 degs, so I might just throw a towel over them and see
I don't use kegs anymore (don't drink enough) but did this over many summers. You won't get lager temperatures, but can easily get the beer to ~14 degrees or so, maybe less. As you say, costs nowt but a bit of time and space.

Another thing I've found is that if bottles are left directly on the floor they are much cooler than those stored higher up as the floor acts as a heat sink.
I’m going to bottle some soon so if I place them on a stone floor that should help

I don't use kegs anymore (don't drink enough) but did this over many summers. You won't get lager temperatures, but can easily get the beer to ~14 degrees or so, maybe less. As you say, costs nowt but a bit of time and space.
I’ll give it a go, cheers

How about the python line from a maxi. I was thinking of creating a jacket with thin plastic piping in it. Or could use copper but then it’s not bendable. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back