weekend piccys [london stuff]

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BIGJIM72 said:
Unless you have a 2nd mortgage you can't afford to enjoy any of the pubs round there!
:lol: Tell me about it. I work in the building nect to the Walkie Talkie. Paying £4-5 for a pint of some ***** I won't really enjoy is rather grating.

There is a 'spoons on gracechurch st though which I believe is open on weekends.

BIGJIM72 said:
Unless you have a 2nd mortgage you can't afford to enjoy any of the pubs round there!

You just need to avoid the tourist traps ;)
There are some truly excellent pubs serving great cask beers from £3.50 a pint which is not too bad for a capital city.

anthonyUK said:
BIGJIM72 said:

You just need to avoid the tourist traps ;)
There are some truly excellent pubs serving great cask beers from £3.50 a pint which is not too bad for a capital city.

The city is a tourist trap?

I was there on a stag do this weekend!

The massive choice at The Craft Beer Co., Islington:

20140222_132553.jpg

We had an hour on a Pedibus, tinnys in hand - much harder work than the website made out, but great fun. All the tourists were waving and taking pitures! We went over tower bridge as part of it, with a jam of cars behind us!

20140222_155243.jpg

20140222_163940.jpg

dennisking said:
Nice photos, did you enjoy any of the pubs.

we had a go ... :D
the coach and horses ,nr covent garden, a nice Guinness,and hot beef sarnies, well recomended... :clap:
the Tap anchor right next to tower bridge ,a sam smiths pub, a great extra stout ,a really old unchanged london pub...
the Nags head covent garden , AM brewery pub, a nice ipa in there,

tbh most of the beers were around £3.50 -3.75... so not mch dearer than around here...

i did see a pint in the cafe royal was £6.00... :eek:

joe1002 said:
dennisking said:
Got kicked out of the nags head many years ago, but that's a long story.
We have time... :lol:

Not a ground shaking story Joe. Early 1970s 3 friends and myself were going to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane to see Monty Pythons live show. We allowed enough time for a couple before the show and went into The Nags Head. I got a round in and stood chatting at the bar when the manager appeared from behind the bar and said leave your drinks and leave, not even a please, when we asked why he just turned away. So puzzled we asked again and reluctantly he stated he didn't like people wearing jeans in his pub. When we pointed out there were a few other in the pub in jeans he said our hair was longer than theirs and as the majority of his customers were going to the Royal Opera House and should not be subject to having to share the bar with "people like you" he wanted us to leave. My hair was probably the longest and certainly didn't reach my collar, it was 1973 FFS we wasn't scruffy or dirty and was planning to down 4 pints each in the hour before the show in a civilised manner, good quick money for him. Tony requested our money back to which he instructed the barmaid to comply. As soon as I had the money in my hand without any prompting we all lifted our glasses at the same time and downed the remaining 1/2 a pint or so in one. Tony then thanked him for the free beer and we left.

dennisking said:
joe1002 said:
dennisking said:
Got kicked out of the nags head many years ago, but that's a long story.
We have time... :lol:

Not a ground shaking story Joe. Early 1970s 3 friends and myself were going to the Theatre Royal Drury Lane to see Monty Pythons live show. We allowed enough time for a couple before the show and went into The Nags Head. I got a round in and stood chatting at the bar when the manager appeared from behind the bar and said leave your drinks and leave, not even a please, when we asked why he just turned away. So puzzled we asked again and reluctantly he stated he didn't like people wearing jeans in his pub. When we pointed out there were a few other in the pub in jeans he said our hair was longer than theirs and as the majority of his customers were going to the Royal Opera House and should not be subject to having to share the bar with "people like you" he wanted us to leave. My hair was probably the longest and certainly didn't reach my collar, it was 1973 FFS we wasn't scruffy or dirty and was planning to down 4 pints each in the hour before the show in a civilised manner, good quick money for him. Tony requested our money back to which he instructed the barmaid to comply. As soon as I had the money in my hand without any prompting we all lifted our glasses at the same time and downed the remaining 1/2 a pint or so in one. Tony then thanked him for the free beer and we left.
:lol: That's a good story. I bet his face was a picture.

morethanworts said:
We had an hour on a Pedibus, tinnys in hand - much harder work than the website made out, but great fun. All the tourists were waving and taking pitures! We went over tower bridge as part of it, with a jam of cars behind us!

20140222_155243.jpg

Did you pass here around 1pm by any chance? If so I saw you heading up towards London Bridge - though I must confess the bus with a hen party caught my attention a little more...

Was about 4pm, so not us. Having seen how slow we went up the slightest incline, I'd hate to see how slow a hen party moves.

Funnily enough, we finished just outside Southwark Crown Court, where I keep seeing footage of Dave Lee Travis.

:electric:

BIGJIM72 said:
At your location in the pic-there is a reasonable boozer on the LHS-the wheatsheaf

Yeah, then the Southwark Tavern another 50m or so along and The Rake in the street behind - all tidy little pubs.

Back