What are you drinking tonight?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've bought myself a bottle of Anchor Steam, and I have 2 bottles of my Homebrew Steam beer in the fridge, so my plan is to have a bit of a taste test comparison.

I did sneak a drink after a week in the bottle and it seemed to be lacking the same bitter finish that the real thing has but I'll see how it compares now it's had a month or so to mature.

I've bought myself a bottle of Anchor Steam, and I have 2 bottles of my Homebrew Steam beer in the fridge, so my plan is to have a bit of a taste test comparison.

I did sneak a drink after a week in the bottle and it seemed to be lacking the same bitter finish that the real thing has but I'll see how it compares now it's had a month or so to mature.

I must get around to actually trying out a steam beer, anchor steam being the obvious choice. Do you know if any of the supermarkets carry it? (between where I live and where I work I can get to almost any of them from Aldi/Lidl -Waitrose/M&S)

Going to try one of my Belgian pales as well tonight. It was the one done with Belle Saison and it's a bit funky for my taste, but we'll see if it's mellowed a bit.

Also got a bottle of my Centennial Brown that was all gone. Went to feed the in laws dog and the old chap had a bottle that I'd given him. I nicked it back and I'll replace it with summat else. He'll never know.

I must get around to actually trying out a steam beer, anchor steam being the obvious choice. Do you know if any of the supermarkets carry it? (between where I live and where I work I can get to almost any of them from Aldi/Lidl -Waitrose/M&S)

Waitrose has had it in before and is your best bet of those choices. Lidl and Aldi are a no-no. Not sure about M&S, they seem to be getting a good selection lately. I saw that Northern Monk or whatever it's called in there.

Going to try one of my Belgian pales as well tonight. It was the one done with Belle Saison and it's a bit funky for my taste, but we'll see if it's mellowed a bit.

I don't think it will, for a saison its the major player and thats how it finishes..

I can understand someone not liking it, its a marmite style I think

Never seen it in aldi or lidl and don't have the other two for hundreds of miles. I know it's in asda. I didn't think it was anything special but I am into hoppy stuff at the moment.

Sat in spoons getting ready for the cycling at 7.30. Had a shipyard ale which is nice and gone British with a hogs back hopping hog ipa. Not that nice.

Never seen it in aldi or lidl and don't have the other two for hundreds of miles. I know it's in asda. I didn't think it was anything special but I am into hoppy stuff at the moment.

Sat in spoons getting ready for the cycling at 7.30. Had a shipyard ale which is nice and gone British with a hogs back hopping hog ipa. Not that nice.

Asda (on the old kent road) is where I normally do my shopping so I have a look tommorow when I force myself in there - Gawd I hate supermarket shopping

Waitrose has had it in before and is your best bet of those choices. Lidl and Aldi are a no-no. Not sure about M&S, they seem to be getting a good selection lately. I saw that Northern Monk or whatever it's called in there.

M&S is the only place I've seen butty bach in, if I ever decide to bottle culture the wye valley strain up.

I had that feeling where I didn't fancy any of my beers tonight, so stopped by waitrose on the way home and picked up these:

Proper Job (never tried this for some reason)
Oakham JHB, Scarlett Macaw, Bishops Farewell (really like their beers, apart from the Citra, which is ****)
Jaipur IPA
Hop House 13 (these were 2 for £2, so thought why not?)

Won't get through all these tonight, but will give it a good go.

I've just had my first ever bottle of Spitfire, that Shepherd Neame one. I bloody enjoyed it too. I realise it's maybe surprising that at 40 years old (nearly!) and being as keen on my beers as I am, not having had it before. But, when I was younger, I was an obnoxious Northern tit and wouldn't drink "that cockney beer". These days I'm far less of an obnoxious Northern tit and it was given to me for nowt, so I've just had it. Jolly spiff.
Spitfire is a half decent pint...
No Focker gets close..

Spitfire is a half decent pint...
No Focker gets close..

Ba dum Tss

giphy.gif

Also got a bottle of my Centennial Brown that was all gone. Went to feed the in laws dog and the old chap had a bottle that I'd given him. I nicked it back and I'll replace it with summat else. He'll never know.
If you want to make a good Belgian pale then look out for the antwerp ale white labs strain in the winter. Belle saison is nice but completely out of character for a Belgian pale. A proper Belgian palest actually that far off an English bitter compared to other Belgian beers.

I'm bottling tomorrow, so in the mean time, i'm having brandy & ginger soda with agnostura bitters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I get it from either M&S or Tesco, depending on where's handiest (there's an M&S just behind my work). It's 30p cheaper at Tesco though!

Sierra Nevada pale, sainsburys own taste the American pale, a brakspear oxford gold and hare golden ale...plus I still have plenty of my toffee flavoured extract brew to finish off with

Well back from the spoon via the wifes grandparents where I was laced with port (splendid). I had a pint of black hop from a small brewery up the road from me (wibblers) which I liked, very dark with a what you might call traditional English hop character and a pint of nut brown ale from ithaca brewing which wasn't for me (bit of a banana taste)

Last 2 pints of an ale I brewed months ago can't remember what it is but definitely a festival kit

IMG_20160522_1155505_rewind.jpg

Just finished packing the caravan for a week away with the family in Pembrokeshire. Am now knackered as I seem to be the only one capable of packing. Had to make sure the beer was stowed safely :whistle:

Anyway, sitting down to an elderflower blonde and then I may have a wheat beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back