What beer should these mystery hops be used for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braumeister

Regular.
Reaction score
I got a ‘mystery box’ of hops for £12 from Brupaks and I’m looking for advice on what I could use them for. I’m new to brewing and don’t quite get whether you can use any hop for any beer of whether only specific ones will work.

These are the ones I received (100g whole hops of each):

Comet 10.7% US
Dr Rudi 12.2% NZ
Northdown 7.2% UK
Waimea 14.5% NZ
Whitbread Golding Variety 4% UK

None of the recipes I’ve seen so far contain any of these. The beers I’m planning are mainly US or German styles so seem to contain ‘C’ hops or noble hops. Could I just replace those with a random pick of these to match the IBU needed?

Ok thanks, I have a recipe here in the home brew bible book for ‘London Bitter’ with Pale malt and Medium Crystal, hops are Challenger, Fuggle, and Golding. Just swap those out for Northdown and Whitbread? So basically when using hops it’s a good idea to match the country style with the hops from that country?

I would bags the Northdown and Whitbread and brew a nice British Bitter.
Agreed. Northdown was originally a bittering hop. WGV is onbe of my favourites for "old school" bitters and pales. If you look in the Graham Wheeler books, quite a lot of the recipes use Northdown. Comet and Dr Rudi would each substitute into a Pilsner or Helles recipe and give you a refreshing zing. I haven't used Waimea.

Great thanks, you’ve reminded me I do have the graham wheeler real ale book. I’ve never tried any of the recipes from it though, I’ll take a look.

Why not look up the profile and flavour of each hop and come up with your recipe

Comet 10.7% US
Dr Rudi 12.2% NZ
Northdown 7.2% UK
Waimea 14.5% NZ
Whitbread Golding Variety 4% UK
Why not look up the profile and flavour of each hop and come up with your recipe

I would say thats a bit hard, given he is new to brewing AND got mostlt bittering hops in the mix.

Ok thanks, I have a recipe here in the home brew bible book for ‘London Bitter’ with Pale malt and Medium Crystal, hops are Challenger, Fuggle, and Golding. Just swap those out for Northdown and Whitbread? So basically when using hops it’s a good idea to match the country style with the hops from that country?
If you go with that recipe I would be adding 250g of either torrified wheat or carapils for head and retention either will override the foam negative effect of the crystal malt

If you go with that recipe I would be adding 250g of either torrified wheat or carapils for head and retention either will override the foam negative effect of the crystal malt
Ok thanks - so Crystal is not good for a decent head? I have some dextrin malt, I think it’s the same as carapils.

Latest posts

Back