What brewing software do you use?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can get the pc/mac version cheaper from Beerbelly Adelaide, providing Article 50 hasn't ruined the £ to AUS$ rate.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

You can get the pc/mac version cheaper from Beerbelly Adelaide, providing Article 50 hasn't ruined the £ to AUS$ rate.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I didn't realise it was being sold other than on the website. It is cheaper from Beerbelly (£18.50), but now I've found it even cheaper on some Swedish website (£15).

Beersmith for me. Never used anything else but I like it. Also use the phone app.

I'm using the Beersmith 2 phone app only.
I like it, but have had to set the brewhouse efficiency very high to get close to my estimated OG.

Anybody else experienced that issue?

I have Beersmith 2 on my Phone, cheaper than the PC\Mac version, but that £15 link makes it at least £7 cheaper, the only thing that bugs me with it is that if I also want it on my iPad I have to pay again rather than a single license that works across all platforms

Grainfather have built their own Brewtoad pretty much. I might try using that for a bit as I own a Grainfather so hoping there is some sort of integration between the app and the recipe generation website.

I tried them all when I first started and nothing can touch Beersmith. At first the detail can be overwhelming and the UI is a bit funky in places (e.g. the water treatment additions) but once you've set up your equipment it's the dog's nuts.

I used to use BeerEngine and Brewers friend once or twice.
I calculate all grain amounts and bitterness longhand using HMRC f factor and have set up an excel spreadsheet to do this.

Simply plug in the ABV and volume, type of grains used and it will generate the extracts and weights of each needed and target gravity.
For hops a simple calculation to work out IBUs, all the rest such as steep and dry hops just guesses.

Brewtarget. And I also created two spreadsheets, one for calculating salt additions to water, and one to prepare recipes. In fact, the second is also a proof of concept for me, to understand all steps in my process and to find out the losses. I used Brewtarget to check my hypotheses.

Two things that I can do with my software that I haven't seen in other places (yet). I can choose different types of water to blend, specify the total I want, the percentages to use, and the ratio of chloride vs. sulfate. With the recipe spreadsheet I can specify the volume wanted, the ABV, the attenuation of the yeast, the mash thickness, weight of the hop for absorption. The ingrediënts I can specify in percentages, and the system calculates the amounts of the separate ingrediënts needed.

I could probably write a thesis about it, but I rather brew ;-)

Thats good to know. I downloaded it years ago. If we ever get a new laptop I'd like to stick with Brewmate as I like it so much

MQ - if you are running a windows laptop you can run linux on it as well. you can choose at bootup which o/s (windows or linux) to use.

ubuntu do a disk which lets you 'push' windows to one side to make space for it. then you can choose what to use. I have this setup so that if my windows was ever infected by a virus I could still access internet to sort out the problem. (cryptolocker infections notwithstanding)

MQ - if you are running a windows laptop you can run linux on it as well. you can choose at bootup which o/s (windows or linux) to use.

ubuntu do a disk which lets you 'push' windows to one side to make space for it. then you can choose what to use. I have this setup so that if my windows was ever infected by a virus I could still access internet to sort out the problem. (cryptolocker infections notwithstanding)

My computing skills are basic at best but it might be something I would be able to do if necessary. Thanks, D_o_J :hat:

Well, I bought the £15 BeerSmith2 licence and it looks good. Love the way it scales the prespecified mash profiles to match the recipe and equipment profile. It's nice that I can just import the Bulldog Brewer equipment and mash profiles, and the tools are nice too.

so which one is the best to use
think there should be a voting pole on this

I think it depends on what you want the software for? Best for me is a nice simple UI without getting too technical. I am new to brewing having only completed 16 brews, and have not started looking at water treatments etc yet. I just use Brewers Friend for working out recipe ingredients (grain and hops). Others will want something that is very involved and will work out every aspect of the brew process.

Use brewmate

Brewers friend is basically a newer brewmate but when I checked it out it was so badly broken and innaccurate I just stick with brewmate..

Works really well for a freebie anyway.

is brewmate still available for download had a wee look and a few of the sites look dodgy,anyone recommend a good download site cheers lagerlad

As you can imagine (knowing me!) I started with brewmate..brewers friend...but when I lost my memory and had to start again..
Forgot what I used, and how to used it.
Beersmith2 on pc, mobile and the GF app is quite good, specially the timers function.
The gf site for the mash n sparge water..
With all these apps n programs it can get confusing...lol
Bri

Latest posts

Back