What did you brew today?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finished off a original punk ipa clone tonight. Made the main brew two days ago and had it sitting in the no chill cube.
Did a mini boil of all the late hop additions which went well apart from having used up all my ahtanum for bittering. So I used up the oldest pack of pellets in the fridge which was simcoe at 30g instead of 20g.
I'm really looking forward to this beer as I've been on a bit of a dark beer frenzy recently.

For this brew I wanted to try out an oatmeal pale, try forumite JFB late hops no chill method and use up a few odds and ends from the freezer

Took a gravity sample of this just now and of course had a taste. I'm really pleased with this brew I'll package it this weekend. The hops flavour is there in a kind of tasty but understated way, which is the way I like my hop flavours. Not in ya face like some beers can be. If I really wanted to boost the flavour I could add some hop tea as well as dry hop it too. Cheers @JFB it seems we've swapped no chill flavour addition methods. I'm definatley going to be using your method for future brews, unless I want to follow/mimic a clone reciepe's hop schedule. Then I'll use the mini boil method as your method is easier and less time consuming I think

Just mashed in an experimental American porter which should be a fun beer.
As soon as i,ve done the dunk sparge I've got a American wheat beer to bottle then its off on the twelve beers of Christmas challenge with a few work mates:whistle:

Just tucked up a steam beer/pseudo lager in the brew bag. It's quite low OG.I accidently over diluted the wort. It was supposed to be 1041 but ended up 1.038 - no problem, just means more beer.
I used Mangrove Jacks California Lager yeas tfor the first time. I've heard good things about it and forumite @Mickdundee likes it

Just doing some bottling tonight. Muntons Gold IPA kit. I have used some dry hops this time. Hopefully it will be about *5.1 %. My strongest beer brewed to date - I added the 1 kg dextrose suggested for the stronger version. Have been sanitising the bottles earlier, and soon getting onto siphoning into the bottles.

*Correction - 5.2 %.

Just tucked up a steam beer/pseudo lager in the brew bag. It's quite low OG.I accidently over diluted the wort. It was supposed to be 1041 but ended up 1.038 - no problem, just means more beer.
I used Mangrove Jacks California Lager yeas tfor the first time. I've heard good things about it and forumite @Mickdundee likes it

Ive just used that as well,its in the FV
The US West Coast is great as well imo,so good ive orderded a few others.

DSC_1162.jpg

Just doing some bottling tonight. Muntons Gold IPA kit. I have used some dry hops this time. Hopefully it will be about *5.1 %. My strongest beer brewed to date - I added the 1 kg dextrose suggested for the stronger version. Have been sanitising the bottles earlier, and soon getting onto siphoning into the bottles.

*Correction - 5.2 %.

Half the bottles done now - maybe (20 done). :geek::cool::thumb:

Yesterday I knocked up V2 of a hoppy brown beer with mild ale malt as a base.
Trying out WLP051 California ale V yeast for the first time - has anyone used it?
:cheers:

I've used it once and didn't get great results. No idea weather it was to do with the yeast though.
It was in a cream ale that wasn't bad but not great either. Very slight twang that I cant put my finger on.
Brewing a Californian common in the new year and have a pack left so will give it another go.
Have you started the fermentation yet? I had a wright pong on with mine.

My V4 Vermont juicy IPA which I've named in honour of the latest star wars movie. Rebellion.

Also trying out a new hop (for me) in this combination with these other hops.

Brew day went as planned and hit my numbers bang on with 22 litres in the SS brewtech brew master bucket.

Needless to say the dry hop will be equally heavily charged.

09299fb90034c959cd939b1b0218301e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, did a brew 3 days ago, here's the numbers:

19 liter
2 kg pale malt
1 kg pilsner
800 g crystal 20
400 g Munich
100 g Vienna

Mashed 66.7 for 60 minutes
Sparged 75 for 30 minutes
Made a 1 liter starter with s-05.
OG was 11.4 brix pitched 28/12, 3 days ago.

Today I racked to the secondary and took a reading. 5 brix before calc. When I punch in the numbers I get 1.2 brix, 1.005! That's a dry beer and wasn't aiming for that.
I recirculate mash with my sensor inline. I'm thinking that the read out is wrong. Maybe adding 2 degrees to my calculation? I think I might need to make a HERMS system. Any other thoughts?

I've used it once and didn't get great results. No idea weather it was to do with the yeast though.
It was in a cream ale that wasn't bad but not great either. Very slight twang that I cant put my finger on.
Brewing a Californian common in the new year and have a pack left so will give it another go.
Have you started the fermentation yet? I had a wright pong on with mine.

I've used it twice with great results. Went off like a rocket and gave me a very high attenuation (82% and 78% respectively) both times.

Not too sure what the difference between the California Lager Yeast and the Bohemian Lager Yeast will be?

The Bohemian Lager is a "true" lager yeast, whereas the California Lager is a top fermenting (I think) yeast which acts a bit like a lager yeast (high attenuation and crisp flavour).

The Bohemian Lager is a "true" lager yeast, whereas the California Lager is a top fermenting (I think) yeast which acts a bit like a lager yeast (high attenuation and crisp flavour).

Californian lager is somewhere between and lager and an ale yeast. Hence why it's come from the original steam beers in the states. Malty but with a lager type crispness and is fermented at about 12-14oc.

Great for making pseudo lagers and the like if used with pilsner malts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Making a big hoppy double IPA as I type.
Only 12l as I'm thinking tis the season to cut back on my drinking..

Californian lager is somewhere between and lager and an ale yeast. Hence why it's come from the original steam beers in the states. Malty but with a lager type crispness and is fermented at about 12-14oc.

Great for making pseudo lagers and the like if used with pilsner malts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its fermented at 18C-20C according to MJ packed instruction.
This is one of the strangest fermentations I've had with a yeast. First of all it had a long lag time and took a while to start fermenting. Then I thought it had stuck as it had a gravity reading of above 20 after two weeks in the FV, so I gave it a rouse which got it going again no problems but now the krausen wont drop

Latest posts

Back