What do you think of this set up? Thinking of buying one if reviews are ok

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 bucket for the hlt 1 x tap and element,
1 bucket for a kettle/boiler 1 x tap +1 or 2 x elements
2 x buckets to make a tun + 1 x tap and insulation.
and 1 bucket for the fermenting..

I make that 5 buckets 3 x taps tho a tap can also be used in a FV so perhaps 4, and 2 or 3 x elements.

though spare buckets can be useful, more brews on the go, a bottling bucket or even a bright tank or 2ndary fermentor,

bigger buckets would be better but i couldnt find any 32-33l ones on a bulk buy deal..

1 bucket for the hlt 1 x tap and element,
1 bucket for a kettle/boiler 1 x tap +1 or 2 x elements
2 x buckets to make a tun + 1 x tap and insulation.
and 1 bucket for the fermenting..

I make that 5 buckets 3 x taps tho a tap can also be used in a FV so perhaps 4, and 2 or 3 x elements.

though spare buckets can be useful, more brews on the go, a bottling bucket or even a bright tank or 2ndary fermentor,

bigger buckets would be better but i couldnt find any 32-33l ones on a bulk buy deal..

I think I was half asleep when I read that lol. You're right 5 buckets 3 elements and the taps come in 5s anyway. Do you have a thread with pictures or a walkthrough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I was half asleep when I read that lol. You're right 5 buckets 3 elements and the taps come in 5s anyway. Do you have a thread with pictures or a walkthrough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fraid not, btw go for the bigger buckets as linked to by Bigjas if it rings your bells. when it comes to a boil kettle there is no such thing as too big ;) with 32l buckets you could brew a 5 gallon batch you may need to hold a liter or 2 of sparge back to boil when the level has dropped a bit??

the waddington and duval water butt taps are commonley employed as FV taps so there should be a few instructables etc covering that.

the bodging of tesco budget kettle elements is well documented in here and similar sites,

when i used them for my blue barrel boiler i used �£shop clicky lidded food boxes to mount an on/off switch and cover the electrics..
get a few spare boxes if doing similar the lids are quite brittle when cutting, just cut a hole in the lid as u do in the bucket,
the seal gasket may need a fettle too iirc i shaved off the thicker lip and used the thinner lip alone to seal between the element backplate and bucket inner wall..

edit ** you may also need to source slightly longer screws to fit the element if your bucket wall + clicky box lid is thicker than the original kettle wall ;)

8470980268_6a1ac37f26_z.jpg

7936443660_f7d120ca36_z.jpg

the bits you need to help seal awkward fittings is simply a few rolls of ptfe to wrap everything liberally, and a cheap silicone baking sheet (even thickness smooth finish) to cut diy soft food and heat safe washers from ;)

+1 here for the Grainfather.
I`ve had mine for over a year now and just cannot find any faults with it.
I did a few mishaps but they were both my fault,rather than the equipment.

Back