What hops in Cobra Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was out for a Ruby earlier and had my first pint of Cobra in years.. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but was astounded at the hoppy aroma it had.. Its smelt lik Saaz to me , and got me thinking does anyone know what hop is used in Cobra.?

Their website says 3 hops, but the marketing blurb on different supermarkets says citrus hop oils.

Perhaps a difference between UK and Indian brewed versions?

Their website says 3 hops, but the marketing blurb on different supermarkets says citrus hop oils.

Perhaps a difference between UK and Indian brewed versions?
my problem is my plate isnt sensitive enough to pick up subtle flavours in a beer, my taste test is , Like or not like.
the only thing I picked up last night was its lagery with a light whiff of floral hop off it..

I need to sort out teh hops but digging around Im looking at using a grain bill of
Screenshot 2024-02-28 at 09.28.29.png

my problem is my plate isnt sensitive enough to pick up subtle flavours in a beer, my taste test is , Like or not like.
the only thing I picked up last night was its lagery with a light whiff of floral hop off it..
Then there's no problem. Brew a lager using a floral hop, East Kent Goldings perhaps. You'll then get something close enough for you palate.

Ale like carbonation is probably the stand out feature of Cobra.

Maybe a look at what other beers the Burton brewery produced *may* give some hints as to what they already use and may use elsewhere.

Pravha apparently uses 3 czech hops .

I could only name Sládek, Kasbek, and Saaz; but there is a high alpha bittering hop called Agnus too.

The three aroma hops could give floral, spicy, and citrus notes.

Sadfield is right the beer is lower carbonated to give a different take on a lager taste

Difford's Guide (mainly cocktails, but do other drinks reviews) say that since 2009 it's been brewed in Burton with hops and modified hop products.

I'm guessing isozmerised hop extract for bittering in that case.

I have a pile of Saz Ill use up on the1st batch just gonna do 1 gal batches and tune in on a recipe till I get something I like on the hop front .
They say Cobra ferments on an ale yeast.
What do you recon for yeast ? Lutra, SF-04 or something else?

You could try some of the recipes, if they exist, on sites like brewer's friend etc. Then try and find one that has been brewed a few times or has comments to its success/fail.

I'd love to get a proper recipe for Moosehead lager. Their website claims they only use Canadian 2-row in the grain bill but don't give anything away on the hops. I asked them but got no reply.

You could try emailing Cobra. Long shot but worth a try.

You could try some of the recipes, if they exist, on sites like brewer's friend etc. Then try and find one that has been brewed a few times or has comments to its success/fail.

I'd love to get a proper recipe for Moosehead lager. Their website claims they only use Canadian 2-row in the grain bill but don't give anything away on the hops. I asked them but got no reply.

You could try emailing Cobra. Long shot but worth a try.
There's a Moosehead clone in North American Clone Beers, the book is getting on a bit but will mesaage you.

Must confess I like this part of brewing. Find something you like and then try and track down a recipe so you can do your own.

My greatest success was when I was looking for a Deuchars IPA recipe and came across an email from the head brewer at the time to an American fan. It listed and gave the quantities for the malt bill and the kettle and late hops. Ended up with a really nice pint.

Latest posts

Back