What is the longest you have kept beer for?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Llanbrewer

Reaction score
Was it the deliberate ageing of a super strength barley wine, or the bottle discovered at the back of the cupboard?

What difference does long ageing make?

2 years (brewfferm Abdij) a lovely beer at 2 years but I didn't care much for it's plummy stage 18-22 months old, I've worked out I generally prefer my darker beers at 6-9 months after which they go through a liquorice phase before coming out the other end back to what I like.

I have some Belgian beers with a BBE date of 2032! (oude guezue boon) etc.

most belgian beer is good for a few years on the whole. :grin:

I just found an old bottle in a cupboard from when I first did homebrew years ago and the results were terrible. 6 or more years aging didn't improve this one :)

I've got a couple of bottles of 14-month Brewferm Abdij left. Ageing mellows out stronger brews, the Brewferm kits taste really quite harsh and unpleasant until about 4 months old.

Mate of mine just found a bottle of hoppy bitter I gave him in summer '15 at the back of the cupboard. Was quite nice apparently, although I would have thought the hoppiness would have faded over that time.

I try to remember to write the month and year on the top of at least one bottle per brew and put it to one side in the garage.

Whenever I get a bit bored, I pick out a bottle for the evening drink and as there isn't enough room on the cap to write down the type of beer I refer to my Beer Diary to try and work out what it might be before I open it.

I have often picked up a bottle after 12 months on the shelf. Some of them have improved with age and none of them have been "off" but, after the 12 month mark, many of them have deteriorated.

To my knowledge, the oldest beer I have ever drunk was a bottle of Bateman's Victory Ale with an ABV of 6% ...

http://www.insidebeer.com/articles/20150310

Offered to me by a neighbour who doesn't drink, the bottle was about six years past the "Best Before" date; and it tasted just fine. :thumb:

erhm, i have a couple of kegs (3 atm) that when first tasted were a bit ordinary ;) and have been at the back of the queue for pouring for a couple of years now,, one ginger beer experiment (coopers kit tin +lme tin) was SO SWEET!! it was on draught for over 18 months used primarily for cooking liquor, and the occasional glass for a lady ..

having started with ye olde boots kits that benefited from months of maturing to round off the homebrew twang of old, i rarely sup a beer before a month or so in bottle or keg, and generally beers upto 5% abv will sit for 9 months or so without any problems, after which they may start to thin out as i guess yeast slowly devour longer chain residual sugars that contribute towards the body.

Stronger darker more heavy (FG) beers will fair better for longer, but the live aspect of our beers will impact over the long term.

I have four commemorative bottles of beer from 1977 and 1978 (Matthew Brown, Bass and Ind Coope) which have followed me round. Don't know why, but I have never felt the need to open them. They're probably worth nowt though.
In 1902 Bass brewed a Kings Ale in recognition of the visit of King Edward VII to the brewery. From what I understand, although collectors items, a bottle is opened now and again and the contents are drinkable.

Back