What kit to brew next?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just finnished my last 2 bottles of Wherry last night :(
They were far better in flavour than the earlier drank bottles but found that due to too much fizz (as i put a tsp of sugar per bottle rather than the recomended half tsp) they seemed to have reduced body.

Anyhow, im getting another kit this weekend and im thinking of getting the admirals reserve this time.
Does anyone know of any other good real ale type kits worth giving a go?

Thanks

Admirals is a belter, I'm trying really hard not to just guzzle the dozen or so bottles I've got left...

...its not easy. :drink:

I was going to get another Wherry going as it was very nice but thought i'd give something else a try rather than sticking to just one.

I also don't just want to stick to one brand either not that theres anything wrong with the one i used it's just that im sure there are other good brands out there too, so im after a bit of guidence. :pray:

Have you had a squint through the beer kit review section? Starting to build up a nice little reference there...

My faves so far have been the Admirals and Coopers Irish Stout. I've bottled a St Peters RRA and the early indications (a couple of green-ish bottles) are that it too is going to be really good - it's also made under license by Woodfordes so no surprises there!

I think the Muntons premium kits get a good name for themselves too but I haven't tried them yet.

Yeh i've looked through the kit review page but find that alot of them are IPA's or stouts or wheat beers, i personally preffere the more bodyfull real ales!

I have done an admirals it's in the corny at the minute and to be honest I'm disappointed not with the kit but I think I fermented at too high a temp it tastes very home brew. I'm sure it's my fault as it gets very good reviews

I'm just drinking my Admirals Reserve after 6 weeks in the corny. Personally I have found it has massively improved since trying it after a few weeks.

To start with it tasted 'very homebrew' as you say but after 6/7 weeks it has mellowed a lot and is now crystal clear.

Personally I preferred the Wherry, but this is a nice pint too! I'll definitely brew the Wherry shorter next time.

Have decided to go for either the Woodfordes Admirals Reserve or the Brewferme Abbots Ale!
2 very different brews i know but i like the sound of the Abbots Ale being a fuller bodied ale.

Once i have got it this weekend i will hopefully do a thread in the brewday section with a few pics.

I know it won't be like an AG brew day but will hopefully be of some interest to someone :pray:

My admirals was brilliant! Left it for 3 months and it was brilliant! Also consider St Peters Ruby Red.

Back