What size Brew Kettle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonS

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thinking of upgrading my brew kettle from my trusty 40L Buffalo - it works fine, but takes FOREVER to get to the boil. Wanting to head to the great outdoors.

My usual brew length is 25L, but I have a big mash tun (60L) and it would be good to be able to do larger brews occasionally - I am thinking up to 50L ish, although most of my brews would still be 25L.

Are there any disadvantages to getting a 70L brew kettle (on a gas ring) to cover both bases? Is it too big for the small brews, and too small for the big ones? Am I better off saving up and getting a 50L and 100L kettle?

Thank you in advance! Hope you are all enjoying Summer - why has no one ever told me until now it is Saison season?

Simon

i brew to achieve 25L of packaged beer and have a 100L HLT, 50L MT
and a 70L boiler; loads of spare capacity but my pots are around half full
which kind of feels safer to me than filling them closer to the brim. of
course I can brew larger batches if I wish but then I don't get to brew as
often. whatever you decide, hope it works out well.

have you considered adding a 2nd element to the 40l boiler to shorten the time it takes to get to the boil? the ebay bargain 1.5kw far east kettle elements with placky shrouds for about a fiver are good lil elements. i ran 2 in my 70l hlt for ages before selling and upgrading..

Thanks guys,

The extra element is a good idea, but I'd rather not cut holes into my Buffalo - I don't feel confident cutting stainless, and would rather use it as a HLT.

I think I will go ahead and get a 70L Kettle! Home Brew Builder here I come!

Simon

Latest posts

Back