What's in your ads?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NPi

Regular.
Reaction score
Interested to see if all non supporting members have the same ads, or to what extent they are targeted. Currently I have an ad for "Gelato Delights" but often have then for "20 Hollywood Red Heads", import your own microbrewery, or a load of tatty women's clothes.

What ads do you have?

I can't remember how you do it but you can switch adds off. I don't get any at all now - before they were super annoying. If they'd been brewing related I wouldn't have minded.

Ad blockers do what they do well but don't the adverts on this site help pay for its existence?

If you block them then it's less revenue for the site.

At the moment on my work PC but not currently on the corporate VPN which does weird stuff with the ads as the VPN terminates in Czech Republic (though can be other places) I have some Warcarft Video game, 888 - betting and poker, and some sort of online learning thing. They change constantly though 😄

I can't remember how you do it but you can switch adds off. I don't get any at all now - before they were super annoying. If they'd been brewing related I wouldn't have minded.

I haven't checked lately but I think only supporting members have that option now.

If I log out I see ads related to recent searches and my job, so there’s some cookied stuff going on. And adblocking is always an option, but for a quid or two a month I’m happy to support THBF directly rather than indirectly through ad revenue.

If I log out I see ads related to recent searches and my job, so there’s some cookied stuff going on. And adblocking is always an option, but for a quid or two a month I’m happy to support THBF directly rather than indirectly through ad revenue.
I was on the point of doing so, but when stuff started going behind a paywall- like "The Bridge" and now possibly the ability to change some settings, I really don't want to buy into all that. For me, it smacks of a two-tier membership rather than a grateful recognition of the worth of the forum- and what about those who can't afford to? I'll stick with the latter and remain a second-class member.

I get no adds at all on my laptop, athumb..

But if i use my mobile phone there are so many adds the site is unusable,:(

I don't mind product promotion on thread though, where if you are interested you can read all about the product. Its just the blitz with the adds i dont like

I only really access the site through my phone. That said I don't mind the ads. I also don't mind the cookie aspect too much, more often than not they are a benefit

I don't see ads at all on the internet, I have a PiHole to block all adds / trackers at DNS level on my home network. Works wonders to stop all the data harvesting and targeted ads and works better than a normal ad blocker which sometimes leaves a blank square where the ad should be or some that slip through depending on how the page presents them.. All web pages have better layout and load faster 🙂

I was on the point of doing so, but when stuff started going behind a paywall- like "The Bridge" and now possibly the ability to change some settings, I really don't want to buy into all that. For me, it smacks of a two-tier membership rather than a grateful recognition of the worth of the forum- and what about those who can't afford to? I'll stick with the latter and remain a second-class member.
Someone on this forum recently suggested it was unreasonable to expect to be allowed to post your opinions without being a supporting member :?:

If all the non-supporting members stopped posting I suspect there wouldn't be a forum left worth talking about.

The private forum was introduced recently as it had been listed in the advantages of becoming a supporting member long before it was set up, no supporting member to my knowledge has ever complained that the private forum didn't actually exist even though in theory they were paying for it, this was mentioned in the moda area and Angie added it to the forum, it was never meant to force members to become supporters it's a choice, if you knew how much it costs to keep a place like this going maybe you wouldn't think £16 a year a lot.

Last edited:
haven't seen an ad in probably a decade. i assume they must pull in some profit from somewhere.

if you knew how much it costs to keep a place like this going maybe you wouldn't think £16 a year a lot.
I think a lot of the tension that's permeated the forum recently stems from the fact that perhaps (and I don't want to speak for the other members here) some feel that there is no value placed on the members.

I understand that this is a business that has to make money, but presumably it is making money otherwise it wouldn't still be here, and maybe the disenfranchisement of the members, ie the ones who create the content and give the business its value, is a little unwarranted. The fact that any discussion on this is immediately shut down just exacerbates the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back