Whats the difference between stout and porter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shug

Reaction score
:mrgreen:
Seriously tho, I've googled and come up with a pile of contradictory answers, most of which are prob made up.

First came porter , then a stronger heavier type of porter was made and referred to as "stout porter" which in time was shortened to just "stout" . As I understand it this happened in Ireland . The difference , well , the recipes and the above . In short . As it were . Reckons I , anyway ...... :whistle:

Also check the BJCP guild lines for descriptions and profiles of both beers. You will see many subtle differences.

It is, but the BJCP guidelines on British beers perhaps aren't as respected on a British forum as they are in America.

That doesn't make much sense. The BJCP guidelines are not country specific, but rather a specification on beer styles. For instance: If I brew an English style IPA no matter which country I'm in the style is clearly defined by the BJCP. From the over seas judges I've talked to and judged next to they use the same specifications for judging that we do in the states. If anything the guidelines should help those who may not be able to find a certain style in their part of the world, but want to brew it. One can read the description of an American Pale or West Coast IPA and get a pretty good understanding about the numbers that beer should fall into.

In the nicest possible way I think you may be missing the point a bit...as Keith says , the guidelines are not so respected here in britain on some forums by some users . Just because they are guidelines on british beers the british public are not bound by law to agree with them . As far as I know . Yet . :hmm:

Makes perfect sense . To the british , anyway :whistle:

:lol: :lol:

anyway , I read the bit I posted earlierin a book with proper glossy covers and everything so it must be right , innit :grin:

PS granted it was a british book .... ;)

No one is "bound by law" to agree to style guidelines unless you count the German purity law. The guidelines do however give you a specified range which the beer should fall into to be considered part of that category. "Brewing Classic Styles" goes into this much better than I can.

If in Britain you as a brewer don't follow the guidelines set forth by the BJCP, then what standard are beers held to in competitions? There must be a standard set to tell the brewer what he or she brewed and what it should be judged as.

Yeah, as I thought. The beer styles laid out by the guild as style guidelines are in fact those set forth by the BJCP.

All very correct I am sure.....though the general tone on this forum in the short time I have been here is a little less formal and regulation lead . Horses for courses , whatever floats your boat , its all good....if thats your thing I will go to the barricades to protect that choice of yours . But many on this forum are a little....hmmm...irreverent , shall we say ? :grin: :D

Back to the original point _ I looked at the answer in its historical , socio political sense as well as the layed down boundaries of recipes ....and reduced it down to the inane , chatty gag answer that I gave . Theres room for all kinds of answers in this windy (cyber) city , and that was just one of them . ;)

Latest posts

Back