What's your usual FG (from AG)?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Virgilartois

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I've been reading that some brewers leave their batches for a week in primary and another 2 weeks in secondary. I've always bottled or kegged when my FG stays the same for 3 days. Since I'm new to AG, I was wondering where your FG usually ends up. My mashes are very close to 66 degrees, if that helps. Just wondering how low to expect mine to go.

Thanks!

Very difficult to say - It entirely depends on the yeast, and the attenuation as well as mash temp and grain bill.

I transfer to a secondary after the gravity has stayed the same as you describe.

The main reason I do this is that the clearer the brew is when I bottle the less sediment in the bottle means less chance of it being lifted when the bottle is opened. After 1 to 2 weeks in secondary the brew is usually clear.

I usually mash around 67 - 68°C, aim for OGs typically in the region of 1.048 - 1.054, use mainly S-04 or Nottingham yeasts and my FGs tend to be around 1.012 - 1.016

Fermentation is usually finished in 4-6 days and I bottle or keg from primary at 2 weeks.

That's exactly the kind of info I am looking for, Moley! I know that my FG will be different every time based on a bunch of different factors, but I still wonder what other, more experienced brewers end up with. Thanks! Anyone else?

Sorry man, I realise I might have misread your question and my reply wasn't especially helpful!!

AG #1 WLP 004 Irish Ale yeast that went 1047 to 1010 after 7 days
AG #2 S-04 Went 1045 to 1010 after 4 days
AG #3 US-05 Went 1038 to 1006 after 7 days

All were mashed at 66 degrees C

I'm not racking at terminal gravity any more so I'll bottle about a week after terminal gravity straight from primary (racked into a bottling bucket for batch priming).

I've had pales as low as 1009 on 3.8% abv and other end of the scale my highest finish was 1036, it started out at 1130 so around the 16% mark by which time the yeasties we worn out.
After lowering my mash temps from 66-67c to the 64c mark my final gravitys have come down from 1020-16 to around 1012-1008.

Think I've posted to you about my FGs earlier but when I mash <66 degrees I expect a 1.050 OG to reach around 1.011 after about 7 days fermented at 20 degrees, and a 1.058 to finish up about 1.012-1.013 using Nottingham yeast. I've used Windsor which which has finished 1 or 2 points higher in the same brew but has a different flavour. After you've done a few brews and plotted fermentation, you get a sixth sense of when it's about done.

Thanks very much everyone for posting your info. Gives me a much clearer idea about about the relation between mash temps, different yeasts, and FG's. This has been VERY helpful!

I use whitelab yeast and always manage to get to around 1010, recently been using WLP007 Dry English and got down to 1008.

My last 2 brews have both used Whitelabs and finished at 1010 from 1046 and 1048

stay in primary for 12 days then into bottling bucket, last brew went into my newly purchased cornie hope it works as well as bottled :pray:

I'm only on AG #7 and they always seem to finish at around 1011, mash at 66 degrees.

My latest is a wheat beer that started at 1050 and has finished at 1010 using WB-06. That was mashed at 66 also.

Will start experimenting with mash temps soon, just finding my feet on the first few brews :-)

Latest posts

Back