When to bottle

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rover69

Reaction score
Hi all.
Started a Hammer of Thor lager a week past Friday,start og 1.068.Another reading today as per instructions 1.008,gravity 7.88%.
Air lock slowed down but still a steady bubble.Hop bag in after 4 days of fermenting.
If fg reading is 1.008 again tomorrow would it be ok to bottle?
Early days of my brewing life so still unsure.Any advice appreciated.

Thanks lupine,was thinking Monday but was unsure.Dont want hop bag in too long.

think you'll be fine. i've done 3 bulldog kits with various durations of dry hopping and they've all been good.
haven't done the hammer of thor however. let us know how it turns out.

I generally find that erring on the side of caution and leaving it in the fermenter a bit longer to clean itself up a bit leads to better beer. I doubt it will matter if the hop bag is in a few more days but you could always remove it if you were worried. I always tie my hop bags so you can remove with a pair of long tongs.

Was thinking about removing bag but wasn't sure if more air getting in would ruin it.
Thanks AXW,will take a sample shortly and have a taste to see how going.

Will post as soon as try first bottle lupine, thanks for support.

I generally find that erring on the side of caution and leaving it in the fermenter a bit longer to clean itself up a bit leads to better beer. I doubt it will matter if the hop bag is in a few more days but you could always remove it if you were worried. I always tie my hop bags so you can remove with a pair of long tongs.
I agree. It's lager so lager it a bit. Wait until airlock activity has completely stopped and this may take days and days as the yeast nibbles away the last of the sugars, then as AXW suggests, bring it into the war- say 15C for a few days for a diacetyl rest before putting it back in the cold prior to bottling.

Reading now 1.007 ,8.27 % and it is a strong lager,going by 80ml just tried, a pint will knock me out .Not to bitter at moment so think will leave hop bag in .

For a kit that says it's 6% and not second fermented yet 8.27% a bit nuts, followed instructions to the letter so no idea why it's getting so strong .

Yes 23 litres,and took two readings for OG,no extra sugar added.extract bag completely rinsed out.Im not that bothered at moment as sample tastes ok.As long as flavour stays good will just have to drink in smaller glass and less.

Thanks for link Ankou.
Would the temperature cause it read high,was 24c when added yeast?
It did say between 20 and 25c so not sure that would give a higher reading.

Tried a bottle on Saturday after two week fermentation.Really nice beer,nice creamy head with nice lacing.Strong alcohol but can taste the hops.

Attachments

• IMG_20210205_215536.jpg
    IMG_20210205_215536.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 36
I tried two bottles,the one above was a 750ml and a 500ml here.The 500ml tastes better but the 750 still a good beer,one carbonarion drop in the 500 and two in the 700.No idea if thats the taste difference.

Attachments

• IMG_20210206_134958.jpg
    IMG_20210206_134958.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 45

Latest posts

Back