when to rack (no hydrometer)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmaguy41

Landlord.
Reaction score
The mrs broke my hydrometer so im not sure when to rack my wine kit, got 2 6 bottle kits on. They started last sunday so been over a week but they are still bubbling very slowly, should i still rack? Or should all the visable fermentation be complete? First time doing wine so dont wanna crew it up.

I think you have to ask the question "what's going to cost you more, screwing up 12 bottles of wine or buying a new hydrometer?"

There's no real way to know if it's completely finished; even if the airlock's stopped bubbling, there can still be activity. Hydrometers aren't that expensive, and last indefinitely, accidents permitting!

I agree with ceejay the best way is to use a hydrometer but to be honest i haven't used one in ages.
I use Moleys method in the wurzels orange wine thread which is wait until bubbling has stopped or is so slow you wait minutes to see a bubble then give it a further 7 days then rack to a clean DJ, degas,stabilise and clear.
All the kits i have made have not said to rack to a separate DJ so i finish them in the original DJ then bottle.
If you are experimenting with wine making you might find this thread of interest - viewtopic.php?f=41&t=39846

interesting, the kit instructions suggest racking twice, once after 7 days to add finings and then again after clearing to degas

The kits I used to make were at the cheaper end of the market so maybe there was less juice in them than yours so less sediment.
I now make supermarket juice based wines and you only need to rack once before bottling.

mmaguy41 said:
interesting, the kit instructions suggest racking twice, once after 7 days to add finings and then again after clearing to degas

Racking onto the finings is an easy way to add them, but you could just stir them in.
With a kit, there won't be much in there to give off flavours so racking is sort of optional.
And, with all wine, pretty much, leaving it longer never hurts.
So, leave it until you're sure it's done, then rack&fine, then leave it to clear (is what I'd do)

Back