Where do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebell

Reaction score
Im banned from the house just incase of a big bang :shock: so thinking of making my brew in the integral garage. I think it will be ok during the summer but guess I may need a brew belt over winter? Anyone else brew outside the house? are ther any issues? My garage never gets freezing even during this last winter.

I have a waterbath at the back of the garage which will hold 4 demis or 1 5gall bin. The garage is always cool as it's effectively underground, but it never freezes. Some shelves and a small chest of drawers in there hold all the equipment. There's usually something in the quiet corner of the dining room though.

I built a fermentation cupboard which is insulated and has a temp controlled heater in it as the place in which I brew drops to below freezing. For a good fermentation of ale and wine you need a good constant temp of 18-21C obviously lagers ferment at lower temps, so using some sort of temp control is important and I think a garage would need some sort of insulated cupboard to brew in.

:cheers:

You need to be able to keep your brew at around 20 degrees. Brewbelts get a bad press round here, a water bath and an aquarium heater are widely considered better. You need not fear though, bangs only ever occur when something is bottled, and there's no need for that to ever happen. As long as you make sure wine is stabilised, and that beer or cider have finished fermenting and you only add the appropriate amount of sugar for priming, it'll never happen. Bottle bombs happen when people can't be bothered to do things carefully.

I brew in a garage and built an insulated cupboard with tube heater controlled by a TC10. Works a treat, summer temps are more challenging, although only struggled once or twice :thumb:

Across from my bed a pirate flag hanging off a shelf covers a large space where bubbling sounds can be heard ;)

Shelf in my room holds demijohns that are bubbling. Empty DJ's & FV's are stored in the shed.

Brew in the brewhouse but still ferment in the kitchen as its too cold at night planning some form of temp controlled fermenting cupboard to go in it

I brew in an integral garage. In the warmer months it maintains a good temperature, just the odd day it gets to warm so I have to take necessary action. During the winter months I've found a spot on the landing where it stays at the right temperature.

garage, temp controlled heat to keep it warm. Am working on something to cool or will eventually get a big fridge.

Indoors for making up the kits and bottling but fermentation and conditioning is in a temperature controlled fridge in the shed.

Latest posts

Back