Where oh where to store carboys??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clives-online

Reaction score
Greetings,

I haven't done any brewing in over 10 years.
Just bought a couple of beer kits and getting some equipment.

Already getting grumbling about carboys and pressure barrels "littering" the kitchen..

I am trying to sort out where to store the carboys and/or pressure barrels for months while "conditioning".

We have a greenhouse and shed at the bottom of the garden. Surely that is too cold and damp for glass carboys?? Would the carboys freeze or cold damage the beer??

If I put plastic pressure barrels in the shed probably land up with drunk rats??

Could store them in the attic??
Would need a winch to get them up there.
Not very handy to check on though!!

What solutions have you come-up with??

Thanks,
Clive

Bubble wrap if in a cold area which should stop freezing unless a excessive cold spell comes.
I would use the shed personally and stand on a few layers of cardboard off the floor slightly if that is possible and bubble wrap or even make some jackets out of old blankets, Ps they need to be kept out of light so as they do not become light struck so I suppose bubble wrap plus a blanket/old duvet etc would be ok. I had some glass bottled beer in my shed the first couple of years of brewing and it was ok

I use a flight case! You can get a cable trunk case quite cheap new from Swan flight or on eBay. The case is on wheels so off the floor and I use bubble wrap inside. Also I can lock the the case tight. Anyways I get 2 x 11litre car boys and 2x 5lts in one case. You can then use the case as table in the meantime.

Back