where's all the AG brewers gone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shearclass said:
Why demoise kits and kit brewers?

I agree. This thread seems like it is putting down people that brew kits.

I am currently a kit brewer but am trying to work out the best way for me to go AG. Kit beer is fine but i want more. I have not been a member of the forum long but value the information i am given by the more experienced brewers here and try my best ot pass this on to other new brewers.

As someone has already said kit brewing is a gateway 'drug' and i for one will move from class C to A in one step. Cant wait to go AG (be prepared for many a stupid question to come!!!)

:cheers:

Although I've never brewed a kit before I would never look down on someone who does. My late Dad brewed kits for years in the days when kits were fairly bad but they gave him what he wanted and he never wanted to go any further.

This thread isn't putting down kit brews, I embrace and applaud anyone who wants to take up this hobby, I just don't like the way some threads go these days and advice that you give being slammed back at you by some people. I don't mind a healthy discussion but having to quote books dates and times to validate my advice is a bit much.

I'm on my way to the Dark side here's this week project and this weeks extract brew. An extra hoppy number to clear out the freezer :D
ef8154c2.jpg

I just have to wait for the burners to arrive and figure out the false bottom hop strainer. Then it's time to meddle in the dark arts.

For me kits were a great way to start but it's all about the taste of great beer so AG it is :cheers:

You for one Graysalchemy have given me a lot of advice since I have joined and I have been very greatful for it but you have been on the wrong side of some people recently.

Brewing is like skinning cats it seems, there is more than one way. What works for one may not work for another. That is why I think it is a great forum as the more experienced brewers are willing to give there advice and wisdom.

I just hope that with time the more long time forum members that have lost faith in the forum will come back and once again impart their knowledge onto those willing to learn.

Ha
I can see where you are coming from. I started ag from the beginning and received some great advice from people such as yourself, nowadays there is some very mixed advice going around. I wouldn't eat food from a premade packet nor would I make beer from a pre made packet - don't know what **** is in it

Well heres my two penneth worth... where i bought my kit from had its own forum, i found it to be quite unused and was more of a "thanks for buying from us" gesture..so i looked around for other forums where i could ask my questions, i found this place...i didnt realise there was a dark side !! i thought it was just kits, kits, kits...i am the sort of person that likes to start at an advanced level, however, there is a lot of glossary to this hobby..AG, FV, crash cool, wort etc etc etc...all of these were new to me..i had to do a lot of googling to find out what people were talking about..especially in the chat area..it would be nice to have a stickied thread in here which lists ALL the terms and abbreviations that are bantered around on here..but anyway, i am very interested in the darkside and yesterday i took myself down to the home brew shop in aldershott to buy some more kits and pummell them with questions, i was told that they do a AG day course there on saturdays and i am going to do it, i need to work around the wife a bit though as i am sure a lot of you here have had to do LOL...beleive me, the force is strong in this one !

loady said:
it would be nice to have a stickied thread in here which lists ALL the terms and abbreviations that are bantered around on here
At the top, left hand side, there's a "Glossary" button.

alanywiseman said:
Brewing is like skinning cats it seems, there is more than one way.
Cruel man :evil: the saying is that there is more than one way to skin a rabbit.

Neither should you swing felines by their tails to determine room size, that saying derives from the cat o' 9 tails as favoured by the Navy.

PS: AG brewer here, but it has been 6 months since my last brewday, either too cold or other stuff to do, I hope to rectify this situation soon.

Moley said:
loady said:
it would be nice to have a stickied thread in here which lists ALL the terms and abbreviations that are bantered around on here
At the top, left hand side, there's a "Glossary" button.

DOH!! yes spotted it...must have been a dirty glass lol !!

There's lively myth that ag is some kind of monastic thing. People are scared by stories of all-night brewing that requires repainting the whole house, swmbo going ballistic and so on.

Well my opinion this is a home brew forum and the name says it all we all brew at home in one form or another wether it be kits i my self started this way and can honestly say ive had some nice brews over the years cant comment on biab as ive never done it then i progressed to AG which i really enjoy so however you do it the main aim is to enjoy and to make beer / wine that you can also enjoy i hope the kit brewers dont think the AG brewers are having a 'dig' i certainly wouldn't

Moley said:
Cruel man :evil: the saying is that there is more than one way to skin a rabbit.
And skinning rabbits isn't cruel? :D

But I agree with the sentiment of the thread. I have learned loads from this forum as well as another. I also make wine and that was something I always thought of as a mysterious art undertaken by strange men in sheds sipping some strange vegetable wine concoction that had matured for at least 10 years. With the help of the likes of Wurzel, Moley and a number of others I have found that wine making is a pleasant and enjoyable past-time with great results in about the same time as it takes to condition beer. But I also make beer and that I find it even more enjoyable. Kits are good and I have made a few that turned out just as good as 'Real Ale' bought in a pub. I did make AG about 15 years ago while living in USA. Mainly because they don't do 'Bitter', and the likes of Coors, Busch etc are ****, and that is putting it mildly. But sadly I had to leave all my equipment behind when we left, and am now rebuilding.

I am nearly there and once I have got my boiler/LT finished and figured out the PID/SSR I should be good to go again. But in the meantime I have forgotten everything about AG and will be in need of help. Lots of it, so all you oldtimers, please hang around.

I'm still here, I don't bother posting on topics that have been dealt with correctly as I have nothing to add to them.

As too misinformation I am all for it, that is the only for people to realise that they have the wrong end of the stick, when they are told, as long as it is polite and jovial.

Nothing wrong with kit brewing, I personally just don't like the taste of a kit anymore

I my self am not having a dig at kit brewers, what is getting up my goat and I believe others who I have spoken to, is this attitude that some of the new generation of members seem to have, they seem to challenge you at every step to the point when you think why should I bother helping people. This is what is happening and this is why from the people I have spoken with why they are not posting. As a result the shared knowledge of the group is lost because some people are not willing to listen to experience and reason and think they know better.

When i first joined someone would tell you something that they had learnt and in turn you were able to pass on the knowledge plus your experience. There was an element of respect and willingness to learn. Now it seems to be a competition to see how be heard the loudest regardless of what information they are giving right or wrong.

Over the last few weeks I have been slated over the use of a tap on the bottom of an FV brewing at temps above 23c, the production of fusel alcohols at high temps, for repeating information about brewing a decent pint of TC (which I admit I do go on about). Information which is readily available on the web and good brewing books, but all of this has been challenged to the point where I was ask where and when i got this information.

If I am wrong about anything I post then i will hold my hands up and be keen to learn where I have gone wrong, but everything I do post about is knowledge learned from this site or books and quite often I will search the site for relevent posts or find the page in the relevent book before I post to make sure what I am saying is correct.

Cheers

Alistair

the post i wrote wasnt directed at you in any way gray im just expressing its a forum for all brewers howvwer they decide to brew i hope i havnt offended anyone

Latest posts

Back