Which beer next..... From the Bible?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan Dobbin

Reaction score
For my next brew I am looking for something that is circa 4%, a light and refreshing ale ready for summer.
I am currently looking at the Summer Ale or the Spring Beer from the Bible.
Does anyone have any experience of either of these, and which is better?

The Bible? Can anyone enlighten me here? It's not the bit where Jesus knecked down all the home brew at a wedding reception and had to knock up a few demijohns of wine behind the camel shed rather pronto, is it?
Or is it the bit when Noah got totally lashed and decided to go the Full Monty?

The Bible? Can anyone enlighten me here? It's not the bit where Jesus knecked down all the home brew at a wedding reception and had to knock up a few demijohns of wine behind the camel shed rather pronto, is it?
Sort of. Although I think Jesus had a cracking recipe for turning water into wine, which totally skipped the fermentation and aging process. I've looked high and low for a clone of this, but so far no luck.....

The book Homebrew Beer by Greg Hughes contains a hundred different recipes in various styles and is so referred to. Mainly because it could be had for about £3 at one time!

The book Homebrew Beer by Greg Hughes contains a hundred different recipes in various styles and is so referred to. Mainly because it could be had for about £3 at one time!
Thank you Slid. I've got the French edition and the names of many of the beers are different. I've also got The Beer Bible by Geoff Allworth, which alludes to the ingredients of beers without formulating recipes. Hence my confusion.
I'm ready for a nice light hoppy bitter myself, time to have another look at Greg Hughes, methinks.

Last edited:
The Yorkshire bitter recipe from that book is great and I brewed something inspired by the Spring beer when I first started brewing, it was all Galaxy hops, 10g at 20 min, 10g at 10 min and 20g at flameout, bitter with galaxy too for a total of 38 IBU, couldn't get Wai-iti (i think that's the other hop) at the time so just went all galaxy. Tasted way more bitter than this, since found out that galaxy can give a really harsh bitterness so it's best used very late in the boil, great flavour though.

This recipe is a pretty easy-going pale ale I've brewed, originally as a saison then with an English yeast, Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire. Zephyr's Brew Days.

The Kolsch recipe has been one of my best beers, twice. It was better with the CML Kolsch yeast than K-97 but both made superb summer thirst quenchers!

Done many variations on the American wheat beer in that book. It’s always a winner.

Met Greg last year - really nice guy as well. Got my copy of ‘the bible’ signed!

An oldish thread this but I thought I'd add to it having brewed both the GH summer ale and spring beer.

The summer Ale I wasn't that fussed about. I may give it another go but I would up the recommended mash temperature from 65 Deg to maybe 68 and probably up the late addition EKG.
The Spring beer however I'm drinking at the moment, it's a great beer and one I'd definitely do again, Zingy citrus flavours is how it's described and I agree with that, it's a great one to drink sat out in the sunshine. I did it as per the recipe with the tip of adding a wai-ti dry hop and yeast was Wilco's gervin (Nottingham?)

Latest posts

Back