Which one ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi people
I’m finally going to upgrade my system but I’m stuck on which to choose. I’m going budget and it’s either going to be the grainfather S40 (£303) or the Mundshenk 30lt (£340). My thinking is the Grainfather would probably be the better quality where as the Kleinstein would have better features.. which would you choose and if you have one of theses systems do you wish you would have bought the other ?
B5C18CC0-D459-4D0E-8ADF-2F42CBF0DC62.png
A60732C2-6B5D-4848-8E1E-98DBDCB9DF0C.jpeg

Klarstein every time in that price market and yes it is better quality than people give it credit(some Grainfather owners love to rubbish the lower priced competitors-not all).
I have had my version which is exactly the same except it has the previous older control unit(the new one is better as it gives more options like memory etc).
I have had mine over 5 years and done 200 plus brews with hardly any issues.
I would buy again no hesitation.
Ps comes in many guises Angel Brew, Klarstein, BrewMonk etc

If I was buying either. Which ever is easiest to replace either the pump or the element, as they're the points of failure that'll FUBAR the system.

Hi people
I’m finally going to upgrade my system but I’m stuck on which to choose. I’m going budget and it’s either going to be the grainfather S40 (£303) or the Mundshenk 30lt (£340). My thinking is the Grainfather would probably be the better quality where as the Kleinstein would have better features.. which would you choose and if you have one of theses systems do you wish you would have bought the other ? View attachment 83836View attachment 83837
Grainfather has the prestige name behind it, but i have a Klarstein mash kettle (not an AIO) and it’s also very good German made quality.

I’d go for the Klarstein with the better features, actually that’s my next upgrade on my bucket list.

Think they are both the same Sadfield, pump is easily replaced the heating element is another thing most of the lower and mid ranged units no matter what make have bonded heating elements until you get to premium prices.
There was a big hoohaa when they first hit the seen both Grainfather and the Klarsteins (they used the same pumps and bonded elements) about the heating elements as they are virtually un-replaceable but over time they have proved their reliability in general as I say mine has done over 200 brews. The secret to reliability with any of these units so I was told was to not use them on full power as this like any heating element when used constantly at Max will shorten the life.
I have found you do not need to use massive power on the mash anyway and boiling I set it a couple of hundred below max and have insulated my unit with that radiator foil

to not use them on full power as this like any heating element when used constantly at Max will shorten the life.
Is the life of the element a real concern? I brewed with a standard kettle element in my last kit for 15 years, no issues. My oven element has been used at full power almost daily for 11 years since we moved in and for many years with the previous owner. Our kettle (and all previous kettles) have gone for well over a decade in use multiple times daily at full power. Never had any issues. Or am I just lucky?

boiling I set it a couple of hundred below max and have insulated my unit with that radiator foil
I have a neoprene jacket on my grainfather and can achieve the same level of boil with about 70-80% power when compared with no insulation. The steel sides lose a lot of heat. If nothing else, it saves me on the leccy bill

Thanks for the feedback guys,, think I’m swaying to the Klairstain with jacket ,, sounds like a reliable bit of kit and it’s not as bulky as the s40. Iv only one fermenter fridge anyway so can only do 27lt brew.

Is the life of the element a real concern? I brewed with a standard kettle element in my last kit for 15 years, no issues. My oven element has been used at full power almost daily for 11 years since we moved in and for many years with the previous owner. Our kettle (and all previous kettles) have gone for well over a decade in use multiple times daily at full power. Never had any issues. Or am I just lucky?
No it is not a concern to me but it was in AIO infancy as they had not stood the test of time.
I would not hesitate to buy a bonded Element as time has generally proved they are reliable.
Bonded elements have a side that is glued/bonded to the metal bottom plate and this can possibly create hot spots as air can not circulate the whole way around the element and that was the worry initially.
The power unit especially when insulated with a jacket or foil does not need to be used at full power to maintain a boil
Your element has free flowing wort around it to help so no hot spots are created where the bonded is not in contact with any wort to even the heat out.
As you have said Agent a jacket is a good addition to any heating vessel

No it is not a concern to me but it was in AIO infancy as they had not stood the test of time.
I would not hesitate to buy a bonded Element as time has generally proved they are reliable.

If replacing the element is still a concern and iirc you can buy the whole outer and base for the GF but it's not cheap.

Yes Chippy it is not really a economical repair as you have to buy the whole bottom section, but as I have said do not fear as reliability has been proven on most of the AIO variants

Yes Chippy it is not really a economical repair as you have to buy the whole bottom section, but as I have said do not fear as reliability has been proven on most of the AIO variants
Magical Pancake had to get a new shell and element but it is covered under warranty.Was a member on here until he moved back to good ole USA.

Latest posts

Back