Which ones should I buy, quality vs price

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willycoolj

Regular.
Reaction score
Looking to buy in some bottles for my homebrew
45346763a3262cba9eefa4ef3384a6ef.jpg
9fe5e618235ec603fe5861e5679aab60.jpg
eaee0729a5e7de46dc71b04b9a348088.jpg
192bd18a9ff61334eb87434b1d90b4e0.jpg
3856c86202d9676a8420210f46cbedb3.jpg
cacbb47f479ea0bce6b2b4a34ea9caed.jpg
, but which ones do I go for

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can vouch for the Coopers bottles getting the job done, I got 50 of them with the starter kit I bought and I've used them three times without any problem (other than them being plastic bottles, and beer in plastic bottles takes some getting used to).

If you want glass bottles either ask your local if you can have their empties, or go to Aldi and buy all their Banks's at 89p a bottle. You get the bottle and a beer for not far off the price of a new bottle alone. Sure it's Banks's, but I bet you've got a few mates who'll happily come round and help you empty them for nothing. Aldi also have a range of "craft" (and they use the word "craft" quite incorrectly) beers in 330ml bottles for 99p that again will solve your problem with beer included.

Buying bottles without beer in them is a mug's game.

For a start, have you got a capper. As this will help make your decision for you. If you havent you may as well get a bench capper straight off the bat as eventually you'll end up buying one anyway if you use glass bottles for any length of time
Personally I'm quite keen on swing tops but not as much as I am on Easy Kegs (just thought I'd throw you that curve ball :mrgreen:)

I've got 5 boxes of the coopers ones, I use them for my quaffing brews, the high turnover stuff! I've got 48 of the range swingtops too, great value for swing tops I doubt you'll find them cheaper. I use these as well as recycled commercial bottles for stronger ale that benefits from longer conditioning. Agree with Myqul if you're going for crown caps get a bench capper straight out the gate, they are so much better than the lever action contraptions.

For a start, have you got a capper. As this will help make your decision for you. If you havent you may as well get a bench capper straight off the bat as eventually you'll end up buying one anyway if you use glass bottles for any length of time
Personally I'm quite keen on swing tops but not as much as I am on Easy Kegs (just thought I'd throw you that curve ball :mrgreen:)

Easy kegs have crossed my mind but the starter kit is about £80

Hi!
If you've got a bench capper I can recommend Old Mout cider bottles - I get them from my local club, and they are glad to have less glass to be collected.
I also use the Cooper's PET bottles and I have had no problems with them.
The big advantage of the PET bottles is storage of empties - I can get about 25-30 in a cardboard box and store them on a top shelf. The glass bottles are much more of a problem.

Personally I think plastic bottles are rubbish. Would you go to a pub and drink out of plastic bottles, I wouldn't.

Swing tops are great. If I pass an Aldi I pick up some of their beers, they are ok for £1.49 and swing top. All my other bottles are from my local. No point in paying for something that someone else is paying to get rid of.

Recycle. just go to your local and ask them to save you there empty's. Or if you like punk ipa. Sainsburys do 660ml bottles for £2.50 each, I've got quite a few if these, the beer inside is just a bonus.

That's if you get the party start tap starter kit. I've only ever used the MK's on their own usuing the intergral gravity tap. Then they're only £6 a keg

That's true, I have used them before , I did have a ibrew tap a draft system from Wilkos's but the dispenser packed in a few months ago

A few tips (not everyone might agree with me):

1. Make sure that ALL capped bottles are at the same height. (A real PITA to adjust the bench capper for each bottle.)

2. Make 500ml the smallest bottle size. (Anything smaller and "WOW, isn't bottling 23 litres of beer boring!")

3. I love 650ml flip-top bottles as 35 bottles will do a full 23 litre brew and make bottling much less of a chore.

4. Don't restrict yourself to just bottles as 25 litre kegs and 5 litre Mini-Kegs have their uses.

5. Keep enough bottled beer on the shelf so that you can let the beer condition and mature for a couple of months or more. :thumb: :thumb:

PS

I only ever use brown tinted glass bottles. :thumb:

A few tips (not everyone might agree with me):

1. Make sure that ALL capped bottles are at the same height. (A real PITA to adjust the bench capper for each bottle.)

2. Make 500ml the smallest bottle size. (Anything smaller and "WOW, isn't bottling 23 litres of beer boring!")

3. I love 650ml flip-top bottles as 35 bottles will do a full 23 litre brew and make bottling much less of a chore.

4. Don't restrict yourself to just bottles as 25 litre kegs and 5 litre Mini-Kegs have their uses.

5. Keep enough bottled beer on the shelf so that you can let the beer condition and mature for a couple of months or more. :thumb: :thumb:

PS

I only ever use brown tinted glass bottles. :thumb:

Have been thinking about mini kegs , have got a corney keg but am selling because I have not got the room in the fridge, plus having no supply of big gas bottle or the money for regulator, also I use 16g/8g bulbs which ain't cheap! I do use coopers 500ml bottles from time to time

I can recommend MKs. I use natural carbonation then, when it runs out of puff, I use a modified bicycle pump and a Flexi-Tap to keep pressure on the MK until it's finished.

I have decided that using CO2 capsules on an MK is a waste of money. "Off-tastes" have never been a problem since I finish a 5ltr MK in well under a week. :thumb:

This is the cheapest system I have seen:

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/mini-keg-system-with-air-pump-tap-718-p.asp

... and it comes with everything you need.

Enjoy. :thumb:

I can recommend MKs. I use natural carbonation then, when it runs out of puff, I use a modified bicycle pump and a Flexi-Tap to keep pressure on the MK until it's finished.

I have decided that using CO2 capsules on an MK is a waste of money. "Off-tastes" have never been a problem since I finish a 5ltr MK in well under a week. :thumb:

This is the cheapest system I have seen:

http://www.leyland-home-brew.co.uk/mini-keg-system-with-air-pump-tap-718-p.asp

... and it comes with everything you need.

Enjoy. :thumb:

I was looking at that tonight, I will use a 5lt keg over a weekend, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask mates, get from pubs, save your own. Once you got a load its a case of adding here and there. I bit the bullet for my first lot and bought tim taylors, tough time emptying them :lol:

Having made a few brews now and having a multitude of different systems on the go
1) recycled 1lt tonic/soda water bottles. I like these as the bottling is quick, i get more than a pint when I open one :) and they are free as the wife like to drink tonic and lime as a day to day drink.

2) The ranges swing tops, again these are great, but taking into consideration I might have 3-4 brews bottled at any time, maybe more it would get expensive quick.

3) Coopers pet bottles, cheap, easy to use, no capper needed and easy storage.

4) Glass beer 500ml. haven't bought any that didn't come with beer in them :). my longer term plan is to go al glass and have been sampling commercial brews to acheive this:whistle:

Basically trial and error has taken me to the glass option, but like other have said get a bench capper and to behonest I will be keeping the cooper pet ones going for test carbonation bottles.

Sound advice followed by preferences, a balanced answer

Latest posts

Back