which type of yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alanbamber123

Reaction score
i have half a packet of champaign yeast left and some notingham ale yeast. im doing turbo cider and i just woundere dwhich i should use. both batches i have done have used a different one. (one cham one notingham) so i wanted to know which do people perfer

I use general purpose wine yeast so I would use the champagne. However I have always wondered if it would taste different with some nottingham in.

I done a batch of turbo cider not long ago, using champagne yeast. It tasted rather good, so i'd say to use that. But in all fairness as i'm new to brewing and have no experience with ale yeast you might wish to wait for replies from more experienced brewers for this, just thought i'd let you know the champagne yeast was quite nice for me.

wine yeast will leave it drier as it is more tolerent to high alcohol levels, though Nottingham is an amazing yeast capable of lagering at 12c and doing barley wines so it should have no problem with cider, it produces few flavours of it's own either.

If you want a sweeter cider you will either have to stop fermentation or use a less vigous yeast than nottingham

honestly for cider try youngs cider yeast gives great flavour or go the whole hog and get a liquid cider yeast

WHITE LABS ENGLISH CIDER YEAST -WLP775

right i have filled 2 Djs with apple juice one with the turbo and one with the notingham. i will keep u informed on here

Does cider yeast ferment to X percent and then die off?

For example...

Will it ferment to 7.5%, allowing you to use just enough sugar to get to 7.5 to make it dry, or stick a little more sugar in to make a medium-dry, more for sweet cider etc?

Or can you stick enough sugar to get to 7%, prime to 7.5% or more depending on how sweet you want it, then make a fizzy cider without having to use unfermentable sugar/substitutes like lactose or aspartame?

Does it work better with apples? And make the cider taste better than Champagne yeasts?

the brew is now done. the one which used Notingham ale yeast had a much nicer taste compared to the champane yeast. i am going to stick with notingham ale yeast i think

Latest posts

Back