While the cats away.....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've just dry hopped my 2 brews. The English ale with 23g of first gold. And the Nelson pale ale. Well..... I just found 80g of Nelson pellets in the freezer. So lobbed the lot in. See what happens with that lot.

So I've just dry hopped my 2 brews. The English ale with 23g of first gold. And the Nelson pale ale. Well..... I just found 80g of Nelson pellets in the freezer. So lobbed the lot in. See what happens with that lot.

You've fallen under the influence of that SteveJ fella!

I'm wondering if I chilled the sabbath to quick last time having lobbed yeast in and then stuck in the fridge reading was Warner than what it was set to be at. So instantly chilled it for first day from word go. May er should of let yeast get going then turn it on to cool it. Still baffles me.

You'll never know. It might have been the yeast, badly kept. Unlikely to be the temperature I think unless you shocked the yeast with a sudden temperature change.

My guess is duff yeast, but we'll never know. It obviously carried on fermenting after bottling, so something woke it up again, maybe racking and priming it.

I've seen numerous mentions of crash cooling and alike. If I were to do that with these what temp should I drop it to? But if I do this, when I come to bottle it and add more sugar. Will it still carb up ok having chilled it down before? Or should I should leave it be?

It will carb up but can take longer as cold crashing drops a lot more yeast out. So add some yeast to the bottling bucket. Some sediment from the fv will do the job.

Cold crash to 4C or there abouts.

Back