Whiskey

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wez said:
Grumpy Jack said:
I find the peatiness just not to my taste and I have been drinking whisky for a good few years.

Years wont really come into it, if you dont like it, you dont like it.

I must admit I'm (obviously) rather partial to the Islay malts, but they are very peaty / strong in taste and as said above it's something you either like or not, but if you do like whisky your tastes might 'adjust' slightly when you find something you really enjoy :!:

I can understand they are not to everyones liking, I still have a collection of Laphroaig stashed away because my preference has changed slightly. There's 10 y/o 18 y/o & quarter cask still in there along with several others of Ardbeg Bowmore Bruichladdich Bunnahabhain :oops: (I have a very generous wife who understands my partiality :clap: )

I was mainly a Laphroaig follower until a visit to Lagavulin two years ago :roll: although they are 'next door neighbours', Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig are all at the south of Islay within a short distance of each other, they are quite different in taste :!:

Laphroaig has a slight taste of anaesthetic and I've found as I've got older I prefer the smoother Lagavulin 12 y/o cask strength followed by the 16 y/o :party:

But those are my preferences, peoples perception of whisky, "they're all the same", is just like saying all beers the same and we know the answer to that one gentlemen :thumb:

It's definitely a good idea to try a few different types i.e SM scotch, blended scotch, Irish, bourbon as they're all totally different, and then different within each class as the others have alluded to. My personal favourite scotch is the 10yo Bruichladich which is an un-peated Islay. It's just so smooth and kind of sweet, not heavy like a lot of the really peaty ones. A good one to try IMO

And this is going to sound a bit weak, but I actually would try Jamesons Irish whiskey. For a mainstream drink it's pretty good and is way nicer than Bells, Grouse etc.

And for Bourbon? Bulleit bourbon is hard to beat. I find Jack and Jim both a bit harsh to drink neat...

Thanks' for the whisky info lads :thumb:
I might treat missen to a bottle of good stuff, don't know if I fancy the peaty variety though. :hmm:

BB

BarnsleyBrewer said:
Thanks' for the whisky info lads :thumb:
I might treat missen to a bottle of good stuff, don't know if I fancy the peaty variety though. :hmm:

BB
for a every day whisky morrisons have grouse whisky at only £13.00 per lt :thumb:

My favourite is laphroaig at the moment (another Islay whisky) I really like the quarter cask Version. I'm planning in getting a bottle of Caol Ila for Christmas day as it's an Islay I've not had yet. Which bottling would people recomend?

leedsbrew said:
I'm planning in getting a bottle of Capl Ila for Christmas day

Cor! I'd hate to be your head on Boxing day! :drunk: :rofl:

Wildly off topic Leedsbrew, but is that Omar Rodriguez Lopez in your avatar?

As has been said, there's so many whiskies and personal tastes vary. The best solution is with Burns Night not too far away, get a load of mates round, all chip in a bit towards a few different whiskies and have a sampling evening!

THE ENGLISH WHISKY Co

How unpatriotic you all are. Why buy that foreign muck when we have our own Whisky Distillery. Think of the economy. Buy English :D

I'm not a whisky drinker but then my Whisky adventures are pretty much akin to my old Beer drinking habits. The old main stream stuff. You lot have educated me in the ways of good beer. So I may follow and try some of the recommended Whisky's.

The English Whisky Co do a 30L Cask 3 year old single malt (not peated). Cask strength, unchilfiltered and not coloured. Limited Numbers. £1,200 :eek:

snail59 said:
The English Whisky Co do a 30L Cask 3 year old single malt (not peated). Cask strength, unchilfiltered and not coloured. Limited Numbers. £1,200 :eek:

That's only £40 a ltr and the cask would make a couple of lovely planters for the garden! ;)

Wez said:
First off Whiskey is Irish, Whisky is Scottish. (no 'e') A T always kicks my ass for this error :lol:

That`s the first thing I have learnt :thumb: I`m more confused where to start then before I posted which is a good thing as it means there is a lot to sample, learn and experience about whisky (or ey or ies or is etc etc ) ;) Great replies and information from every one - tommorrow I`ll buy myself a christmas present, not that it will get wrapped and sit under the tree for a week ;) I`ve noted down reccomendations and will get a bottle tommorrow as long as the snow doesn`t get to bad, cheers chaps :thumb:

:drink:

Just been looking and asda have,

Isle of Jura - 10 year old malt whisky @ £19.85 a bottle
Glenmorangie original @ £22.47
Highland Park - 12 year old malt whisky @ £22.47
The Balvenie single malt whisky @ 23.30

So all scotish whisky, any one have a preference? i`m swaying toward the highland park or jura from the reccomendations :D

Makro are selling Highland park 12yo for 15.99 and glenmorangie original for 16.99 i think at present along with macallan 10yo sherryoak or fineoak finish for 14.99 &Talisker 10 yo for 22.99. I don't reckon you will better this deal at the moment. :cheers: ken
There is vat to go on this but still far cheaper than the Asda offers by a long way.

Quite often get a little present of a malt or 2 from suppliers at work. Heres hoping.

Went down Tesco earlier this evening because they have Kenco red label, 300g, half price.

Came out with:
A bottle of Talisker, 10 year, 45.8% abv, £22.95
A bottle of Balvenie ‘double wood’, 12 year, 40% abv, £22.81
A decent bottle of port.
A bottle of Frascati (Father-in-law's Christmas treat).
A bottle of Asti (Mother-in-law's Christmas treat, even though I'm taking a Corny of fizzy WOW).
Milk, bread, a few cold meats and some sundry purchases for tomorrow's lunch.

Managed to spend just over the ton, mostly on booze :whistle:

They'd sold out of coffee :rofl:

****, you realise this thread is going to make me open the cupboard for a wee dram. About 8 bottles to choose from. Think its Glenlivet tonight

dennisking said:
****, you realise this thread is going to make me open the cupboard for a wee dram.
Now let me see :hmm: :hmm:

Whisky.jpg

Bit late to this thread, I really enjoy most of the Islay malts but a 17 year old Ardbeg takes some beating. I find Laphroaig a little too warm.

Oh, & Aleman, you'd better lock those up. I know where you live :lol:

Latest posts

Back