White Labs dry yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, hell has frozen over and White Labs introduce a dry version of WLP001, 500g bricks are already on Yeastman with 11g to come. On their Facebook page they say "Two more strains are planned to be released in dry in 2023" - my guess would be a lager and either London Fog or WLP002/007.
https://www.whitelabs.com/yeast-single?id=101&type=YEAST
Their blog has a good comparison of the pros and cons of dry versus liquid yeast, which includes dry being "Typically lower priced than the equivalent volume of liquid yeast" so hopefully pricing should be a bit more competitive with US-05 than the Omega dry yeast.

https://www.whitelabs.com/news-update-detail?id=94

Last edited:
Interesting comparison table of liquid and dried yeast' Liquid certainly seems to come out on top for quality.

I did think that but there again they will also want to push their new baby.

Interesting comparison table of liquid and dried yeast' Liquid certainly seems to come out on top for quality.
If you only consider the first to rows of the table, you could arrive at that conclusion. Factor in everything else after manufacture, such as transport, storage, wort quality, aeration and yeast handling, and one could arrive at a different conclusion at pitching.

Also, a muted (cleaner?) version of WLP001, or even a Lager yeast could easily be seen as 'better' if that was the reason for selection.

Produced by Lallemand.
yeast.jpg

It's interesting that they've chosen 001. You can buy Chico dry already as us-05.

It's interesting that they've chosen 001. You can buy Chico dry already as us-05.
That's one of the most popular yeast strains. It makes sense for them to try and get into the dried yeast market with the popular strain.

My only criteria was quality.
I'll happily use dry or wet yeast, but struggle to see how that quality is maintained through a transatlantic voyage, storage and then further shipping around the UK in an unrefrigerated van. I don't think I've every received wet yeast that isn't months old.

The only reason I'd prefer wet yeast is variety. E.g. I might want wlp644 for a NEIPA which isn't available dry.

I don't think dry yeast could ever replicate the variety and be commercially viable, so wet yeast is here to stay.

Some notable gaps in dry yeast in general. Can we have a dry Brett for example? There's bR-8 but can't find it anywhere.

I can very much see a case for Whitelabs only shipping liquid yeast domestically, and having a less cold chain dependent, more stable and compact alternative for other markets. Particularly, if its manufactured within their European market.

Last edited:
I'll happily use dry or wet yeast, but struggle to see how that quality is maintained through a transatlantic voyage, storage and then further shipping around the UK in an unrefrigerated van. I don't think I've every received wet yeast that isn't months old.
We buy from various labs in the States, the shipping is less than two days. They are sent in polystyrene insulated boxes with stacks of ice packs. When they arrive here we take the temperature in the box, it is always under 4c and the ice packs are still frozen. Obviously they are cold stored here plus sent out with ice packs. So as far as viability is concerned, no issue. However, environmental and cost impact is a different subject.....

Latest posts

Back