whoops forgot to add protoflock or irish moss??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're really worried you can add finings after fermentation. I've had great results with isinglass - you can get ready-mixed sachets that you just pour in a few days before you want to bottle.

I'd suggest finings too. I had a beer with 15% wheat that I forgot to add irish moss too, and it was like muddy water! We just drank it in the dark... :lol:

Cheers.. Cloudy beer isnt the end of the world, i just drink it from a pint mug :)

But this is my first large volume brew with the intention of sharing more than usual and clarity is the initial criteria any beer is judged..

if i were to add finnings could i mix it in with the beer as i keg (cornys), i dont want to risk oxygenating the wort after a weeks fermentation? and i dont have a 2ndary fermentor big enough for the volume.(70l-ish)

You can add finings to the FV and leave it for a couple of days. Unless you have already got it in the corny?
If you add finings to the corny then you will end up with extra trub in it, not the end of the world but be careful if you move it.

I've forgotten to add this on a couple of occasions now, if you're bottling it then it will clear given time RD

same here forgotten it once I bottled it l couldn't find any differences

I worried for a month o so though till the result came in
no need for you to do that though
:| :thumb:

Oh god yeah...
The last big brew I did, I forgot the Protofloc. ..paranoia sets in as 12 casks sat in the chiller not knowing if clear or not, a few extra finings and its fine..I now wonder if I need it at all

another person forgotten here, bottled and forgot about it
beer came out fine just needed that old friend Time

never used finings but the choice is yours

but don't panic Capitan mannering

It doesn't help the flavour or the long term storage of the beer, but as long as young drink it young you will be fine. :grin:

I'm all for drinking beers young.......... :party: :party:

get to my age Ali and you cant afford to wait too long...lol

not that you need to worry too much tho...........................

yet.

Cheers for the feedback, im now much less worried about the beer however?

graysalchemy said:
It doesn't help the flavour or the long term storage of the beer, but as long as young drink it young you will be fine. :grin:

is there something that the protofloc pulls out that adds off flavours with age?? i have developed patience after brewing boots kits whicn NEEDED months of maturity to remove the dry tang associated with HB kits of old.

or is this something that the finnings adds that hampers maturing?

And this is a pretty high gravity beer OG 1060.. being quite light, based on a MO only grainbill, so not one i would expect to be a good beer green?

Ive been reticent about adding finnings as i dont have a large 2ndary vessel, its just dawned on me tho i can decant into 3 25l FVs which i can lump back upto a level for easy kegging DUH!!! and i can then crash cool em 1 by 1 in the small fridge too :)

but which ones, brewpacks do an issinglass paste neeeding citric acid and an auxillary finnings to add? there are activated carbon and turboclear combo's, individual sachets of mystery finnings just labled finnings form companies like youngs? some for beer only and others for wine and beer??

Im not on an organic or veggie kick or anything but would like to know whats going in the beer..

Latest posts

Back