Whotcher

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wysh

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just joined, used to brew many years ago but gave up largely due to lack of time, money and space due to bringing up a young family. Now that I am old(er) I'd like to get back into it again.
I'm a fit 59, still able to climb up cliffs for fishing competitions. An air traffic engineer, it's my job to look after RADAR, AFTN, ILS LOC and GP, DME, HRDF etc. I live on Guernsey, Channel Islands.

Looking forwards to chatting with you peeps and picking your brains. Be warned, I will probably have quite a number of questions for you all at least initially. I'll try to find already answered questions before asking my own but bear with me if I ask something already covered as I may miss them due to unfamiliarity.

Probably looking at getting a starter kit with or without ingredients initially and then adding to it as I progress.

Welcome,

Lovely part of the World you live in. I don't know what all of those abbreviations mean, but you might find DME useful for Homebrewing, as well as LME, FV, BIAB, HLT... :smile:

Welcome,

Lovely part of the World you live in. I don't know what all of those abbreviations mean, but you might find DME useful for Homebrewing, as well as LME, FV, BIAB, HLT... :smile:

Thanks, sorry you get so used to using acronyms all the time.

RADAR = Radio direction and ranging.
AFTN = Aeronautical Fixed Telecommunication Network.
DME = Distance Measuring Equipment.
ILS = Instrument Landing System.
LOC = Localiser.
GP = Glide Path.
HRDF =High Resolution Direction Finder.

On the subject of acronyms is there a glossary of terms on the forum somewhere for newbies or do we pick it up as we go? FV = fermentation vessel?

ETA, found it! DME Dry or dark malt extract.

Hi all.

Just joined, used to brew many years ago but gave up largely due to lack of time, money and space due to bringing up a young family. Now that I am old(er) I'd like to get back into it again.
I'm a fit 59, still able to climb up cliffs for fishing competitions. An air traffic engineer, it's my job to look after RADAR, AFTN, ILS LOC and GP, DME, HRDF etc. I live on Guernsey, Channel Islands.

Looking forwards to chatting with you peeps and picking your brains. Be warned, I will probably have quite a number of questions for you all at least initially. I'll try to find already answered questions before asking my own but bear with me if I ask something already covered as I may miss them due to unfamiliarity.

Probably looking at getting a starter kit with or without ingredients initially and then adding to it as I progress.
Hi and welcome you fit 59 year old:twisted::lol:
i am an unfit 68 year old who also loves his fishing
but
find it hard getting up and down the river banks these days:doh::lol:

I'm guessing that in your line of work, turning up with a hangover is a big :nono:

Yes, and no. A hangover in itself isn't a problem I guess so long as all alcohol is out of your bloodstream. As with almost every job turning up unable to work safely and effectively could be a sackable offense.

The bigger problem is that as I work shifts, waking up at 04:30 am with a raging hangover could be a massive problem.

Welcome. Lots of new starters on here. Very helpful everyone is too!

Latest posts

Back