Why do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh man that brought back memories of Natch and dropping into thatchers for a gallon of half and half on the way home from WSM on a friday.. or going down to Mudgley for a gallon of that chewy shuff wi bits in it,

Gaymers used to be a customer of mine. First time I visited them, I asked about lunch.
"you are in luck, we always go to the pub on Tuesdays"
"isn't Tuesday an odd day for the pub" I replied
"Not really. We go down the pub everyday"
🙄🤪👍🏻

Why don't you try a sachet or two of Omega Lutra? It's a really good yeast, ferments cleanly at hot temperatures and leaves a clear beer.
Liquid yeast isn't available here.

Anyway, I appreciate the esters and phenols that saison yeasts produce, that clove spicy flavour is amazing, for a nice background or even as the main star.
I enjoy using it even in stouts and IPAs.
Just for the record, without temp control, I found out it work better in table/session strength. High ABV could lead to overwhelming phenolic, in this case, off flavours.

Also, dry yeast is so easy to handle, just sprinkle over the splashed wort and that's it.

My favourite is BE-134, by Fermentis. Belle Saison is a good choice too. I'm looking forward testing WB-06 someday.

1702229441332.png

Liquid yeast isn't available here.
Go for the dried one.

For me it is because I like to do things myself, it's OK to buy beer in a shop or pub, but few do anything that stands out, whether that be for ambience or beer quality or variety, so why pay a premium for it.

I like the freedom to experiment and don't use recipes and you learn as you go, changing things a bit here, a bit there, I'm probably the opposite of the chemists and scientists on here, I keep notes to compare brews, but there not detailed with brewhouse efficiency etc

I also like the time in my brewspace, brewdays are a quiet time to switch off from work and everything else and the time flies, the same with sampling brews as they condition and knowing I created that.

After a rare Christmas night out with a friend and the resulting hangover, I am also sure now that it's healthier drinking my own beer as I never feel like that even after many of mine!

I really don't know, preservatives in beer and wine, would be different would they not? Finings of some sort?

Last edited:
Isn’t it just the social convention that an empty glass has to be refilled? So drinks are chained… it would seem to be easy to make and market a drink that doesn’t cause hangovers if there was a difference in the beer.

I don't know much about it but what bits I've read I'm making my own conclusions.
I'm probably way off but one thing homebrewers are always being reminded to be vigilant of and to control if possible are yeast viability,fermentation temperature and making sure its finished.

Latest posts

Back