Why do you brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several reasons really!
I am an engineer, so for me, I love the process control, chemistry, record keeping, repeatability, and setting up and tinkering with kit.
I love beer and different styles of beer. Living in the Scottish Highlands, getting different types of beer is often hard to get (getting better though) or expensive to ship.
It's fun to have people amazed at the beers that I can produce in my utility room!
I like to enter competitions.
My husband loves beer too, but not strong beers. So it's nice to make him beers under 5% that are unique and unusual, but still taste good.

Rolls eyes
A by product of brewing and this forum is you get to meet very nice,like minded people who don't roll their eyes or become uninterested the minute you mention IBUs,fg, etc.

I'm an engineer and enjoy the whole brewing process, building up the kit, making it work, getting the process correct, and challenging myself to make better beer than I can get in the pub.

Also being a Yorkshireman living in Cornwall......it makes my 'beer habit' more affordable as I really do enjoy the taste of beer.

I'm a chemist, therefore I like to do experiments. Also, good beer is expensive here in Brazil, if you can get it. Some brands just aren't available for purchase here. You just can't find a real saison here. Except for that all spiced up blasphemous stuff they call modern beer. Stout? Very hard to find. It's all sweet, lactose added, or chocolate, coffee that's completely nonsense. People here have the same problem as most north americans, it's always too much of everything. Balance it's completely off the menu. So I brew it myself. To hell with it. 😁

Last edited:
I'm a chemistry, therefore I like to do experiments. Also, good beer is expensive here in Brazil, if you can get it. Some brands just aren't available for purchase here. You just can't find a real saison here. Except for that all spiced up blasphemous stuff they call modern beer. Stout? Very hard to find. It's all sweet, lactose added, or chocolate, coffee that's completely nonsense. People here have the same problem as most north americans, it's always too much of everything. Balance it's completely off the menu. So I brew it myself. To hell with. 😁
Love drinking stupidly cold brazilian Antarctica beer with needle fish on a beach, I would definitely prefer it there for my favourite IPA 😀 . However, I agree with you that good beer is quite expensive there relative to the local income
I wonder how do you manage to keep the temperature right? I am thinking next time impress my in-laws by making ale and wine when I go there, but the temperature is always 25 degrees Celsius... Don't think my wife will let me bring my pressure fermenter or casks :D

I'm a chemistry, therefore I like to do experiments. Also, good beer is expensive here in Brazil, if you can get it. Some brands just aren't available for purchase here. You just can't find a real saison here. Except for that all spiced up blasphemous stuff they call modern beer. Stout? Very hard to find. It's all sweet, lactose added, or chocolate, coffee that's completely nonsense. People here have the same problem as most north americans, it's always too much of everything. Balance it's completely off the menu. So I brew it myself. To hell with. 😁
Bravo @Alan_Reginato . Excellent reasons for brewing your own, but where do you source your ingedients?
Me, I brew for the power it gives me, the endless wealth that keeps pouring in, but, most of all, for the babes.

Only joking. I brew because I love brewing. Like you, I'm a chemist. I actually prefer drinking cider (proper, west country cider, not turbo shi'ite or Diamond White) but I love the brewing process and getting a decent beer at the end (or not). I take the same approach to cooking.

I was an English teacher for ages. Wish my Portuguese was as good as your English.
Corrections:
Chemistry is the subject. Chemist is the person who does chemistry.
To hell with + object. To hell with it. To hell with bad beer.

Last edited:
Bravo @Alan_Reginato . Excellent reasons for brewing your own, but where do you source your ingedients?
Me, I brew for the power it gives me, the endless wealth that keeps pouring in, but, most of all, for the babes.

Only joking. I brew because I love brewing. Like you, I'm a chemist. I actually prefer drinking cider (proper, west country cider, not turbo shi'ite or Diamond White) but I love the brewing process and getting a decent beer at the end (or not). I take the same approach to cooking.

I was an English teacher for ages. Wish my Portuguese was as good as your English.
Corrections:
Chemistry is the subject. Chemist is the person who does chemistry.
To hell with + object. To hell with it. To hell with bad beer.
I buy ingredients from local homebrew shop or internet. There's a reasonable good maltster here, for base malts purposes, Agraria. For special ones, usually got imported. I like Castle Malting and Weyermann.

Yes, I like to practice my English skills in forums. Sometimes the autocorrector mess up with my intentions. Hehehe. That's one case. It always tends to correct to chemistry, not chemist. Idk why.

I don't. I live in south and brew mainly with saison yeast. Winter time I keep the fermentors inside, keeping the temperatures around 20 C. In the summer, I let it free rise, never went over 33 C.
Why don't you try a sachet or two of Omega Lutra? It's a really good yeast, ferments cleanly at hot temperatures and leaves a clear beer.

Latest posts

Back