Why is my airlock bubbling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbie

Reaction score
Hi Folks.
Just a couple of quick questions.
I’ve just had to take the lid right off my FV to sprinkle on some more yeast as the fermentation is stuck. :evil:
I’ve put the lid back on as carefully as possible so as not to create a pressure differential but my air lock has started to bubble only slightly but I’m just wondering why. I know the yeast isn’t working already and I haven’t stirred the brew to knock any gas out. :hmm:
Also I think I’m going to need to add some finings to this, it’s my first brew, an Ale brew any suggestions as to what type to use?
Cheers
Glynn

Where are you keeping the FV? Did you Aerate the wort before you put the yeast in?

I use geletine if I need to fine although I have to admit unless your beer is struggling to clear I wouldn't bother IMO.

Mate this is my first brew and I done what it said on the tin and what I saw in the You-Tube vids. It all went really well until it got stuck. The next brew I will do the same way cos everything was good. Why it stuck I have no idea and the manufacturer (no names no pack drill (unfortunately)) not the supplier was no help what so ever. Telling me just to bottle it and they would send out another kit for the new year. BIG DEAL!! This doesn’t give me anything decent to drink over Christmas.
The kit was supposed to be “premium” giving an ABV of around 5%. What I have is cloudy water at 3.4%. This is why I need the finings. It looks awful!!
Unless I can do something radical with this by far the majority of this batch is going down the drain!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Thanks for any help.
Glynn

Brewbie said:
I’ve just had to take the lid right off my FV to sprinkle on some more yeast as the fermentation is stuck.
Hello Brewbie, I'm picking up on your use of the word "more".
This indicates to me that the original yeast is still working.
Plastic lids are notoriously poor at sealing, so the "bubbler" could well have stopped because the integrity of the seal failed, causing the generated CO2 to escape.
When you added your second batch of yeast, you made sure the lid was correctly fitted, thus stopping the escape and allowing the CO2 to once again pass through the "bubbler".
The only sure way to check the progress of the ferment is to use a hydrometer.
As long as the reading keeps dropping, even by 1 point per day, the ferment is still active.
Rember the biggest part of HB is patience!

Hi Glynn, don't even think about tipping it... even at 3.4% you will have something drinkable.
I can't promise this is exactly what you should do, but from what I have read on here (and from recent experience), i suggest the following;

Pitch more yeast (which you have already done)
Gentle stir
Tuck it back up and if poss try to get it somehwere a little warmer as this is probably part fo the reason it's fizzled out.
Wait a few days to see if this improves your specific gravity.

As for how it looks. They always look cloudy in my experience. They won't start to clear of their own accord until you have either, put in to secondary FV and added finings (which I wouldn't bother doing if I were you), or once you have racked it. Not sure what you are planning to rack to? if you keg it then also bottle at least one in a clear bottle so you can see how it clears after a week or so. This improves the longer you condition it. It's cloudy right now because it has loads of stuff in suspension, which will drop out. :thumb:

[edit: just to add... I recently had a stuck ferment and I pitched more yeast etc and it didn't make any difference so I racked it at 4% instead of 5%. Once you have tried kick starting it and if it makes no difference, then as you already have a 3.4% beer then I would cut your losses and rack it, and not risk losing it all to oxidisation/vinegar fly).

hit us with some serious figures and see if we can help.

when did you make it?
what was og?
what is it stuck on?
what temp is it at?
what kit is it?
you say you added more yeast- what yeast was it?

one of the main problems i have seen on here is unstable fermentation temps, ie; the temp dropping overnight. It doesnt matter so much at the start of fermentation as the yeast kicks out its own heat but this becomes less and can then be susceptable to sticking as the yeasts dont like the fluctuation in temp.

Hi folks
first a link to my original post.
http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12008

Right since then I was told by the makers to stir which I did and wait 14 days (I had mentioned in the E-Mail this was for Christmas) which I have done,IT’S STUCK!! Now the makers said it’s too late to send Enzyme to me it won’t be ready for Christmas! :evil: :evil:

Wez said about pitching more yeast, Safale s04. So I spent 3 hours hitting local shops for this stuff and come home with nothing.
Someone my wife works with heard about what was going on and gave her some Youngs’ Yeast with the instructions to pitch HALF which I did last night. No siring just sprinkled on top (on Sign of any action as yet (I know it could take a few days to kick in)).
Even if I get the SG down with all the stiring it’s really cloudy.
Any help most gratefully received.
Any more questions I isn’t going anywhere (unless it’s for some tinnies).
Cheers
Glynn

Something I didn’t mention in my original post was the wort had a really good stir/airation before the first lot of yeast was added.
Glynn.

It does look like a problem with that particular kit. Seems to be common reading the other thread. Looks like the sugars that are left are not very fermentable, a problem with the extract. You could as one last attempt stick a cider or champagne yeast in there as they are god at eating many ypes of sugars. With this there is a chance you will get a dry beer if it works but its either that or fine what you have and have a weak and very sweet beer.

When they talk about sending an enzyme out its because they know the sugars arent fermentable and the enzyme will chew them up.

Oh God.
I'll give it 2 more days then
I'm just gonna chuck it!!

Cheers

Hang on
does that mean the ABV wouldn't go up even with the enzymes?
Glynn

Nah, dont chuck it. Try the cider yeast, what have you got to loose.

Then next year get yourself some all grain kit and ye shall create your own beers that will taste better than any kit you'll ever make.
I have been all graining for a year and never had a stuck fermentation yet.

Then next xmas while you are drinking a selection of your finest recipes you have crafted over the year you will look back at that kit and laugh :D
:thumb:

Brewbie said:
Hang on
does that mean the ABV wouldn't go up even with the enzymes?
Glynn

I'm not sure if it breaks them down into fermentable sugars or just breaks them down completely. Someone will come along soon and inform us I am sure

i got to say i do want to try the Old Speckeld Hen recipe i found :thumb:
Fanks for all that :clap:
Cheers
Glynn

Just one more.
Could i just rack this in to one of 2 King Kegs i have and just let it do it's thing?
Cos then i can get on with another one.
Glynn

No problem :thumb:

You could rack to a king keg and see what happens, better than the drain and you can get another on. Why not take a couple of litres off into an old coke bottle and try a little cider yeast to see if it works. If it does then you could try it with the full batch :thumb: It should be ok to ferment in the keg if you slacken the top. Worth a punt.

Now that I can live with. :party:
I'll do that on Sat.
:cheers:

Do i need to crack the lid as the keg has a relief valve (doesn't it)?

Glynn

:hmm: Not sure. If you didnt I guess that the beer (if the cider yeast worked) would carbonate itself. The only problem with that is that if you then wanted to move the beer into another vessel off the yeast you'd have trouble. I would have the lid on but not tight, that way if it does ferment (might not) and produces lots of yeast you can rack it if you need to.

Thanks for all your help!

Upwards and more importantly onwards!!

Cheers
Glynn

:thumb: fingers crossed you get it somewhere good and it tastes right. keep us posted :thumb:

Latest posts

Back