Wiil My Beer Freeze?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JFB

Landlord.
Reaction score
First hard frost this morning. How do you protect the beer in your man cave from freezing??
Ive a single brick asbestos roof council jobbie. Should I be worried??

My beers are in fridges that have heating (heated 12v motorcycle handgrips) to keep the temp stable (10c for bottles and 6c for kegs). Controlled by st1000.
The shed also has heater set for frost protection so not warm (currently 8c).

First hard frost this morning. How do you protect the beer in your man cave from freezing??
Ive a single brick asbestos roof council jobbie. Should I be worried??

You can put insulation underneath it, or a heat pad. Also a heating belt or jacket can be used. A heating belt can be seen: https://www.brewuk.co.uk/brew-belt-universal-usage.html

Not used myself as I always have trouble keeping it cool enough instead!

Websearch for 'freezing point of beer' came up with a number of answers, but given what was said it appears that low ABV beers freeze at about -2*C and as the strength increases so the FP gets lower (by about 0.5*C for every 1% ABV).
My guess is most beers will have frozen by the time you hit -5* / -6*C.

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that if your bottles are very full and they freeze it could crack glass bottles as well?

Cool, I'm sure the missis won't mind me using of few of her blankets to wrap up the beer:wha:

Latest posts

Back