Wild Hop Analysis

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devonhomebrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
Where can i go and or send a sample of hops to get them tested. Ive found a wild hop plant in a neighbouring village and i have permission to dig it up in the winter. But where can i go to get it tested for AA and to see if it is a good hop. Other thsn of course brewing a pale ale with it and seeing where that goes but still. Anyone know anywhere?

If AA% is proportional to Ph, the activity of acids. Then It would be an easy task with 2 known samples of hop and any number of unknowns. You'd need a Ph meter from Ebay, though! Apart from that you could always ask a hop producer. You'll need to pick a friendly one!
My hops from the homebrew shop always come marked with AA%. I don't suppose they test them themselves?

Not sure it's as simple as that.

I've seen a number of threads on this and they all lead to it being too expensive to test for one plant. Ok for a whole plantation but not economically viable for a single plant. Most people use wild hops for aroma only.

Devonhomebrew

Make sure it's a female plant. The good news is that they are easy to grow from root cuttings. I had a male plant growing in my hedge once. The roots were like rope running just under the soil - very easy to dig/pull up (and propagate). I spent years trying to kill it. It kept coming back every year despite the damage I did it.

Devonhomebrew

Male hops do have flowery things (technical term) as well as females, but you will easily be able to tell which you have. Male flowers are very different and not at all aromatic. They look a bit like elder flower clusters, and don't go on to form the easily recognizable hops that we brew with.

Back