Wine kit sulphur smell

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flan

Reaction score
Hi all, i started a winExpert california enigma reserve kit on sat 20th, it started a slow bubble after 24hrs and on day 3 started bubbling like mad day 4 today 24th i came down and noticed a fairly strong sulphur smell almost eggy, has anyone experienced this before? I’ve only done 1 other wine kit and don’t recall a smell from that. TIA. Flan.

Hi all, i started a winExpert california enigma reserve kit on sat 20th, it started a slow bubble after 24hrs and on day 3 started bubbling like mad day 4 today 24th i came down and noticed a fairly strong sulphur smell almost eggy, has anyone experienced this before? I’ve only done 1 other wine kit and don’t recall a smell from that. TIA. Flan.

Did you put some yeast nutrient in?

I think they supposedly come with it included but it doesn't hurt to put more in.

I've had this problem when I forgot to add it. I had to splash rack the wine and use finings to get rid of the sulphur.

I've had this happen to me, strangley only recently though, the finished product has been fine. The first time it happened, I thought that I didn't clean (sanitise and sterilise) my buckets suffiently well, so went totally overboard on the next clean but it happened again shortly afterwards.

So as @dmtaylor says I'm taking it as "normal" but infrequent action. Hope it turns out OK?

Did you put some yeast nutrient in?

I think they supposedly come with it included but it doesn't hurt to put more in.

I've had this problem when I forgot to add it. I had to splash rack the wine and use finings to get rid of the sulphur.
Thanks Tess, i added some nutrient on day 4 as i forgot to add more early on. The smell is not as bad now and is less eggy now it just smells like a normal ‘slightly gassy’ smell now so hopefully it’ll settle down a bit, it’s still bubbling away like mad so i may give it a stir once a day. Thanks for your help.

Thanks Tess, i added some nutrient on day 4 as i forgot to add more early on. The smell is not as bad now and is less eggy now it just smells like a normal ‘slightly gassy’ smell now so hopefully it’ll settle down a bit, it’s still bubbling away like mad so i may give it a stir once a day. Thanks for your help.

Great. Stirring the nutrient in would have helped release some of the sulphur too and helped the yeast if they were stressed.

Well the sulphur smell has subsided and is back to a more normal fruity fermenting smell now. It’s been a quick ferment as it’s just 7 days now and its gone from 1,094 to .994 so I’ll leave it another week just to make sure it’s finished properly before i move it on, thanks for all your help and advice, this is why i love this forum.

Latest posts

Back