Winebuddy cabernet sauvignon project

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tonyhibbett said:
The concurrent Winebuddy sauvignon blanc is now clear with a spookily identical pH of 3.7. Foolishly, I threw away the packaging, but I suspect that this pack too has been replaced with apple concentrate instead of grape to keep down production costs. There is no doubt that apples can play a valuable role in wine production, but their natural role is for cider. You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear, any more than you can extract blood from a stone and there is nothing to be gained from flogging a dead horse.
Talking of which, I opened a bottle of California Connoisseur merlot which was only 3 months old. It was every bit as good as you would want from a red wine, given a chance to breathe a while and served with a meal. So the question arises: why bother with all this oak ageing? Sir Edmund Hilary had the answer regarding the conquest of Everest: Because it is there!

I often wonder what they add to kits in the way of chemicals to get a wine that is drinkable so quickly and needs to be drunk young before it goes past its sell by date. I think I read somewhere in the dim and distant, that they don't have to list all the ingredients ? I have a suspicion that there are a lot of artificial flavourings enhancers acidity regulators and mouth feel additives in kits.

The same concern applies to cheap commercial wine, possibly more so. UK duty plus vat accounts for about £2 per bottle of wine. My local shops has wine for £3 a bottle. Considering production costs etc. plus some profit margin from grower right down to retailer, one wonders how wine can be made so cheaply!
Meanwhile, the brew has stopped at 1002, probably on account of the non fermentable sugars in the glucose syrup in the Youngs Distinctive grape juice compound. It tasted quite sharp, so I did a titration test and found the acidity level too high. I then checked the pH meter and found it needed recalibration, as it was reading + 0.4! I added potassium carbonate to reduce the acidity, after racking, stabilising, de-gassing, adding the flavouring pack and the finings. The volume is now 21.5 litres, which is consistent with losses from the generation of carbon dioxide, around 5%, so virtually nothing lost due to fruit sediment. After clearing, I expect to lose at least another litre after racking, so the final volume will be just over 20 litres. I plan to put this in my new oak cask, which was sold to me as 20 litre, but is in fact a pin, 4.5 gallons with little more than 18 litres capacity, even after soaking with water. Clearly the production system never actually got updated to metric, only the labelling, which tends to get rounded up! Anyway, any surplus wine can be used for topping up the level, as well as providing a way of comparing bottle maturation with cask maturation.

Doubt many wines on sale are less than a year old by the time they get to the shelf Tony, a lot of kit wines are designed to at least be palatable after only a few weeks.

Exactly, I prefer to make mine without any chemicals (tap water excepted) then at least I know that it has been crafted by me and like you say I have some control over what I'm drinking. I suffer from migraine and I have had problems with some of the cheaper end bringing on an attack after only a mouthful so I know there is something nasty (for me) lurking in there.

Sulphites, I suspect. I found more than twice as much in commercial wine compared to my own. Concentrates also contain sulphites, but fermentation significantly reduces them, whereas it hangs around when added at the bottling stage.

The wine is now clear enough to assess the taste. It still doesn't taste like cabernet sauvignon, but as the recipe ended up pretty close to the Acton & Duncan one for Burgundy, it would taste more like pinot noir, which it does, and that's fine by me! The final pH is 3.6, also good, with no suggestion of harshness. I decided to put it in the new cask, which has had 3 days soaking. This enabled me to insert the tap, which, thankfully, does not drip. After racking, (only 0.6 litres of sediment waste) the level in the bin was still 21.5 litres, but once the cask was full I still had 4 litres left, which suggests the cask only holds 17.5 litres or the markings on the bin are misleading. The cask is full to the brim and bubbles are appearing, suggesting that some reaction is taking place already between the oak and the wine, so I have left the bung slightly loose to release the gas. I don't think this is mlf, as the wine has been stabilised with sorbate.

Hmmmm...You learn something every day.
I can imagine this being an issue for some.

"A final, but very important consideration, is that if your customer insists on leaving out the sulfite from their wine kit, they must also leave out the sorbate. Sulfite suppresses malolactic bacteria, but sorbate does not. Without any sulfite to prevent malolactic fermentation, the bacteria will convert the sorbate into hexadienol, producing a stupendously horrible aroma of composting geraniums and rotting trout."

Worth knowing that. I assumed the pack marked stabiliser contained only sorbate, but maybe also contains sulphite. Whatever was causing the gas has now stopped. I once put some oak chips in a bottle of strong wine to try to improve it and noticed a steady stream of tiny bubbles rising from them for a few days, then stop.
The tap is now absorbing wine, turning it red. I put the surplus wine into a fake 3 litre cask with some oak chips, leaving about 0.6 ml, which can be used for topping up, although I could use any wine for that.
An offshoot of this project was a pomace wine made just from the elderberries used in the main brew, plus sugar and water. It has the same deep red but an insipid flavour, so ideal for topping up.

I made up a few bottles of the stuff and had some with Sunday lunch, having let it breathe for a couple of hours. A great success. There is something of the original Winebuddy cabernet sauvignon, but richer, darker and, because of the slight sweetness, more than a hint of port character. Clearly, the combination of black grape, elderberry and apple plus oak is a winning formula.

It's been in oak for a few weeks and already is probably as good as it's going to get, so I will transfer it to a polypin for dispensing, then refill the barrel with another batch of red.

I used a sludge guard on the end of the siphon which worked brilliantly. The wine came out of the cask nice and clear, leaving about 300 ml of thick sludge, containing lots of strange solids. The wine has acquired an extra flavour not unlike a faint vanilla hint. It all went into a polypin which had previously contained pinot noir from my vineyard. I used that pinot noir to refill the cask.
I am going to call this wine burgundy. The next step is to make up a few bottles with fancy labels and shrink-wrap capsules and fob them off to my kids as xmas presents with fake price labels!

The wine has turned out really well, one of my best reds in fact. The combination of grape, apple and elderberry plus a bit of oak ageing is a winning formula if you want a decent red.

I've got a 6 bottle one of these kits in the fv at the moment. Added 1kg sugar at the outset rather than the recommended 900g. 2 weeks in the fv, fermented with no problems. Readings suggest 12.7% abv. Adding finings etc today. Had a little taste of it when i racked this morning, very harsh taste at the moment but if that settles down i think showing some promise. Not worried on that front at the moment as it's not finished yet.

Elderberries sold as wild bird food

Just so you know... wild bird food can legally be quite riddled in aflatoxins. These are cancer causing compounds produced by various naturally occurring mould species. If they were fit for human consumption they would be checked, but those either wouldn't have been, or were found at above the permitted level. Whether this bothers you is your call, but think twice before nicking Tweety bird's peanuts.

http://multimedia.food.gov.uk/multimedi ... F00147.pdf

Latest posts

Back