Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all

Just kegged up a batch of Wherry that I dry hopped with Citra for the last 4 days of fermentation.
I must say it tastes lovely, but I do like a good hoppy session beer, especially the strong Citra taste!

However I do realise that I have not tasted Wherry without this hop edition. Would anyone be up for a bottle swap? I made sure I filled one 500ml PET bottle from the same batch whilst kegging.

Let me know and Ill get it in the post and expect to receive one in return :)

Cheers! :drink:

I tried to wait until the of Feb, but my bro-in-law came round last Saturday and we polished 14 bottles of between us :drink: and it was very nice,really coming along nicely. Trouble is I've only got 18 left and I really want to leave them at least another month.....so I've ordered another box,which came yesterday :party:

I got this on the go just under 2 weeks ago, short brewing to 20L. OG was 1046 and it had got down to 1016 yesterday, hopefully it'll go lower by the weekend.

The trial jar was absolutely delicious.

I can't believe I'm only just doing this brew given how popular it is.

Started 15/02/14
Og 1.048
500g medium spray malt
17/02/14 1.026
21/02/14 1.016
01/03/14 1.014

Taking its time so racked to clean fv with 60g stryian goldings and will rack again next weekend to remove hops. Hoping it will have dropped a bit further??

After 3 weeks of being in the barrel, I decided to try it. tis coming along quite nicely, has cleared well and flavour is good,
will see what its like in another weeks time.

Has anyone got any comments on the other Woodfords kits?

serum said:
I got this on the go just under 2 weeks ago, short brewing to 20L. OG was 1046 and it had got down to 1016 yesterday, hopefully it'll go lower by the weekend.

The trial jar was absolutely delicious.

I can't believe I'm only just doing this brew given how popular it is.

It's still at 1016 so I might leave this for a bit. There's still the occasional bubble from the airlock.

Should I give this a stir or just leave it be?

I have about a dozen bottles left of the brew I got on on Boxing day. It is really good now and my old man has taken a real shine to it. I must secrete half a dozen bottles in the garage where I can forget about them for 6 months and see how a beer develops with a long maturation.

beechwood said:
After 3 weeks of being in the barrel, I decided to try it. tis coming along quite nicely, has cleared well and flavour is good,
will see what its like in another weeks time.

Has anyone got any comments on the other Woodfords kits?

Woodfordes sundew is alright, quite light with a sweet taste.
Worth a go, maybe with goldings dry hop...

My Wherry has been in the FV since yesterday. I have some doubts regarding the final step in the instructions where it says to move the bottles to somewhere cool in order to let it clear.

I live in a flat so I don't have a cool place, it's at room temperature everywhere (around 20 degrees). Can I do this final step in our fridge?

Am I supposed to leave the bottles there until they will be consumed or can I take them out after the "cooling period" and store them at room temperature again (and then chill individual bottles as needed prior to consumption)? Or will this cause the beer to become "un-clear" again?

Many thanks!

HarrowBrew said:
My Wherry has been in the FV since yesterday. I have some doubts regarding the final step in the instructions where it says to move the bottles to somewhere cool in order to let it clear.

I live in a flat so I don't have a cool place, it's at room temperature everywhere (around 20 degrees). Can I do this final step in our fridge?

Am I supposed to leave the bottles there until they will be consumed or can I take them out after the "cooling period" and store them at room temperature again (and then chill individual bottles as needed prior to consumption)? Or will this cause the beer to become "un-clear" again?

Many thanks!

Generally once bottled (or kegged), the beer is kept in the warm for two weeks to carbonate and then minimum of a week to clear and condition. It should be OK doing it in the fridge, may not clear as well as leaving it for a longer period of time cool conditioning. :cheers:

You can do it in the fridge, but as Matty says it's not exactly practical (unless you have a chuffin big fridge!!) as you'll only be able to do a few at a time and they'll most likely need 2 weeks before they start to get drinkable. However once they have had that time to condition/clear you can return them to room temp with no ill effects. Just make sure you keep them upright of course!! But the longer cool conditioning time the better they'll be :cheers:

just finished a barrel of this, not to bad, but have to say prefer nelsons revenge,
a wherrys
pint in the pub is far superior to the kit version.

sam, try dry hopping with Citra. If you like that kind of thing, you will love the tweak of Wherry!! My fav kit, ive done 5 or 6 now and nothing compares!

I only kept my PB in the warm for about 5 days then transferred to the shed, its had nearly 2 weeks in the shed so hopefully by next weekend I shall be supping a pint or 2.

;)

Tasted mine today and it's cleared pretty well and gave my dad a taste and he couldn't believe it was homebrew, said it was better than the hambleton bard he used to brew 20 years ago.

:D

tried another pint last night after 5 weeks maturing, very nice. still got over 20 pints left.
will have to get stuck in to it next week end. ;)

Latest posts

Back