Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started mine at 1040, finished at 1012, so very pleased with that!

I have been following the 2X2X2 rule so far, currently coming to the end of the two weeks warm bottle conditioning, and looking for advice for the two weeks cold.
How cold does this need to be stored at? Will leaving in the shed be ok, or will a fridge be more reliable or too cold?

Additionally I've read that leaving it in the cold for too long will compromise the flavour and that the beer will become cloudy and flat.
If that is the case, would two weeks in the cold be too long?

Many thanks!

I had an unexpected day off today so kegged my second batch of wherry which finished at 1010. The first batch I did to the instructions and five weeks after pitching the yeast it's quite a nice drink. Mine gets conditioned in the garage then moved to the fridge (sometimes) before drinking.
I have just started doing some small batches of all grain so not sure yet if I will do another wherry. The beauty of them though is I can pick them up at local wilcos rather than mail ordering which requires planning ahead and postage fees.

My 'green hopped' Wherry is still fermenting (just about..), so, decided to remove the muslin bag of hops - (Been in 10 days now). Immediate hit of hoppy, lemon like citrus as I cracked open the lid. Resisted squeezing the bag to get the liqueur out, let it drain naturally for a minute. Poured some of the drain-off into a trial jar. Smells & tastes very, very citrusy, pleasantly good so far, but, what I can't tell is, how much is down to the hop addition and how much the Shepherd Neame yeast. Can't detect any off twangs at the moment. SG 1.009 by my measurement.
In a day or two, I think I'll probably rack it off into a clean fermenter and leave it for a bit. Any thoughts..?...suggestions..?:pray:
My use of SN 1698 seemed to produce an apple fruit taste rather than citrus from what I can remember so I suspect that may be coming from the hops. Sounds as if you might have a success. :thumb:

My use of SN 1698 seemed to produce an apple fruit taste rather than citrus from what I can remember so I suspect that may be coming from the hops. Sounds as if you might have a success. :thumb:
Funny you should mention the Wherry Terry, I racked it into a clean FV today. It finished at 1.006 (4.6%) so I transfered it, squirted some CO2 into the FV as a 'blanket' and put it into my newly converted brew fridge, set the inkbird to 4 deg C. I did notice the citrusness has subsided a little, but it still dominates I'd say. It smells pretty good so far. Just waiting now for it to clear a bit, then l plan to corny it and force carb so I can drink it sooner rather than later. I have high hopes for this one....
I also saved the trub, as many forumites suggested, into 3 x small Mason jars - couldn't find a big jar - and they're sitting at the back of Mrs. M's new fridge :whistle:

I stashed my Wherry to start with in a cupboard in the kitchen for a fortnight then moved outside to my shed floor in a box. This seems to be cool enough as even during the warm weather they feel cold and often have condensation on them. They have also cleared nicely. I think beer will only go flat if you freeze it. The Wherry is better at around 10*c as very cold the aroma and flavour doesn't come through.

Cheers

Clint

My best home brew yet and it's a tweaked kit rather than AG.

250g light DME
Boiled for 20 mins with:
10g cascade @ 20 mins
35g citra @ 5 mins
1 can of Wherry

Two weeks in primary with:
Dry hopped 30g Citra & 20g Cascade

S05 yeast.

Wasn't sure the hops would go with the Wherry but it's delicious, a bit Dead Pony-ish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tweaked Myn too with some challenger hops (dry), cold steeped amber malt and roasted barley.
ill admit I over did it with the barley (60g) but after three months conditioning and a day or two in the fridge this has mellowed out.
I had a stuck FG of 1.018 after three weeks in the FV. the lesson I took away from this was use Ur hydro, even if you've left Ur beer for a while it doesn't mean its fully attenuated (to its best anyway). could have done with a bit of rousing.
and another lesson was if it is a higher than normal reading, don't use as much priming sugar!, another over looked problem I should have nailed but like the above its another mistake that won't get repeated

I'm about to brew this for my 3rd ever brew and because all this "sticking at 1020" stuff sounds stressful, I bought a couple of packets of Gervin yeast from Wilkos to use instead of the kit yeast.

The sachets are 11g, do I just use a whole one instead of the kit yeast?

Also, I've read a lot about aerating the wort being so important but no actual how-to, do I pour from a height into the FV and/or stir it a lot?

Newbie help is most gratefully accepted :cheers:

Hiya
I'm only 5 brews in my first being the Wherry. I panicked thinking it was stuck and bunged in another pack which was a Gervin. Looking back there was probably no need. The timings on the box are guide lines I now leave my beers in the fermenter for at least a fortnight. I suppose if wouldn't harm to sub the yeast with a Gervin,I just done the Admirals Reserve which I subbed and it's turned out fine. As for aeration of the wort just thrash it up with your big spoon. Make sure everything is properly cleaned and sanitised and let it get on with things...don't keep taking the lid off and getting on its nerves! And...don't worry if you get no bubbles through the airlock! Oh..note your pitching temp...when you add the yeast, needs to be 18-20 and take a gravity reading.Finally...get a notebook and write stuff down..day you started, SG, fg,day bottled,priming amount etc.

Cheers

Clint

Great, thanks Clint - I wondered whether I was missing something with aerating the wort. I have just been "thrashing around with a big spoon" up til now, good to know that's all that's needed! :thumb:

I'm about to brew this for my 3rd ever brew and because all this "sticking at 1020" stuff sounds stressful, I bought a couple of packets of Gervin yeast from Wilkos to use instead of the kit yeast.

The sachets are 11g, do I just use a whole one instead of the kit yeast?

Also, I've read a lot about aerating the wort being so important but no actual how-to, do I pour from a height into the FV and/or stir it a lot?

Newbie help is most gratefully accepted :cheers:

This is a really solid session beer, enjoying a pint of it as I type!

I used the yeast that came with the kit plus half a sachet of Gervin. Fermented out well within a week, but left it for at least 2 as Clint recommended.

Made a couple of wherry kits and been really pleased with the end product. Has anyone washed the yeast and reused 2nd 3rd generation in another wherry kit as opposed to the standard dry yeast that comes in the kit.

Last night, I finished a corny of Wherry that I brewed last March. It was the best Wherry I've had yet. I used Wilco's Gervin for it. Waiting 6 months + isn't ideal, but if you can, it'd be worth it......... (probably)...:-?

Last night, I finished a corny of Wherry that I brewed last March. It was the best Wherry I've had yet. I used Wilco's Gervin for it. Waiting 6 months + isn't ideal, but if you can, it'd be worth it......... (probably)...:-?

yes I agree if the kits not been dry hopped. I

Just been checking my stash....i have only 9 wherry left! They've been in the bottle 3 months....keep or drink? Wonder what happened to the others? I'm currying later....their fate is sealed! Well some of them as there are others lurking in my shed!
Come on Wilko get that sale on!!

Cheers

Clint

Tried any yet?

I had a little taste when I kegged it. It tasted as you might expect, clear, flat of course, young, but 'healthy'. Didn't detect any off flavours - despite my rush of something to the brain when I threw 200grams of green hops in the FV. - Quite fruity/citrusy, but less so than earlier when I transfered it to a second FV.
I think the Sheps yeast is a better option than the kit yeast and definitely seems to give it a fruiter finish. I'll be using it again. But, it is more tricky to culture up and use. Whether it's worth the extra trouble is a matter of personal choice I guess.
The Wherry is kegged now and conditioning. Should be a refreshing drink around xmas/new year time. Need something to wash down all that port, brandy, whisky etc.....all that stuff we only drink at that time of year.

thumbs up to the 200g worth of hops. sounds like a belter.
I'll remember (hopefully), where I picked them, so if it works, I can repeat next year. Wish I knew what variety they are though....being in east Kent, I'm thinking EKG's......but.....?? :confused:

Back