Wort chiller hose fittings, what am I missing?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezbrews

Apprentice commercial brewer, amateur home brewer
Reaction score
I have a wort chiller coil (immersion type) with the following brass parts that relate to garden hoses which I can use for chilling... However since none of them screw onto the ends of my tube (9mm OD) I'm obviously missing some parts... but what? I don't want to get a whole conversion kit if I can help it but I guess I will if necessary. The part I'm holding, the barb, is made of two loose parts.

Attachments

• IMG_20230122_152915.jpg
    IMG_20230122_152915.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
I'm yet to find a neat solution to this. I currently use jubilee clips, but have had issues with leakage here, and also the hosepipe fatiguing and splitting near the joint. So F.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I'll try the flomasta first as there's a Screwfix around the corner from me but definitely look into the others.

I have a wort chiller coil (immersion type) with the following brass parts that relate to garden hoses which I can use for chilling... However since none of them screw onto the ends of my tube (9mm OD) I'm obviously missing some parts... but what? I don't want to get a whole conversion kit if I can help it but I guess I will if necessary. The part I'm holding, the barb, is made of two loose parts.
They're goin on your kitchen or bathroom tap, after removing the aerator filter.

Sorry, numpty question time. So that fits on the chiller but how do you then connect to standard hose pipe please? Seems it could be a better solution than what I've got/intending!
The 15mm compression end thread (male) is 1/2” BSP so if the smaller of your three hose fittings has a 1/2” female BSP thread, it should just screw on. Sometimes the hose fittings are 3/4” BSP (I suspect the larger barbed fitting is) but you can get a 1/2” to 3/4” reducer.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta...kGPdgfumNNGwLhN-CrUaAmA0EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
I found that hosepipe fitted quite tightly by push fit onto the immersion chiller and then could be secured with a jubilee clamp.
Then standard hose fittings fit on the hose.

Just a short piece cut off the hosepipe for each end of the chiller did the trick. Just another option or fit barbed camlocks on the hose instead if you want to go stainless.

They're goin on your kitchen or bathroom tap, after removing the aerator filter.
Ah so they don't attach to the chiller coil? Fwiw I can't use my kitchen taps for this, I use a flomasta adapter for my shower but it's ultimately the same end result so this doesn't really matter... with that said my landlord and a fitter are coming over today to possibly consider refitting the kitchen which is in an outdated state, so maybe I'll get good taps finally!

I found that hosepipe fitted quite tightly by push fit onto the immersion chiller and then could be secured with a jubilee clamp.
Then standard hose fittings fit on the hose.

Just a short piece cut off the hosepipe for each end of the chiller did the trick. Just another option or fit barbed camlocks on the hose instead if you want to go stainless.
My hose pipe is significantly larger diameter, unfortunately.

Latest posts

Back