WOW questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dysonno1

Reaction score
Hi all

Id be very greatful if someone could help me out with a couple of questions I have.. Ive done my first WOW using 2l WGJ & 1/2l RGJ.. Its all fermented out, Ive racked it and added a campden and stabiliser.. FG was 0.990 so Im looking to back sweeten it to medium.. Im going to add 500ml WGJ for this purpose.. My question is do I add it prior to adding finings to clear the wine or do I add the finings wait until clear then rack and back sweeten?

Also I went to my local HBS to buy finings and they had no wine finings in so the guy sold me some beer finings saying they will do the job fine.. Is this good advice??

Also I need some confirmation on scaling down the finings to suit my needs... Instructions are to make up 500ml of the stuff 24 hrs prior to use using 1 tsp. Then use 250ml of the solution to clear 25 litres of beer... I only need to clear 4.5l of wine. Going by that I reckon if I made the solution to 500ml I would only need to put in 50ml.. Correct??

Not to be wasteful.. Would it be OK to use say 1/4 tsp in 125ml water make up finings to same concentration as per instructions but without 450ml waste or would I be best just following instructions

Thanks all

Add the finings before you back sweeten. The beer finings are fine and will do no harm to the wine, but may not be as effective as 2 part finings. It's all in how finings work by attracting negative and positive ions in the brew, which then clump and sink. Make up the lower amount and use the rest at another time. Don't worry it will be fine.

Clear it, stabilise it, then add the juice to sweeten. If you don't stabilise it with a Campden tablet and a teaspoon of Potassium Sorbate per gallon, the sugar in the grape juice will simply start fermenting if you store it :thumb:

Latest posts

Back