WOW rose and ABV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drayman

Novice but trying hard
Reaction score
I am seeking your the advice of WOW gurus out there.

Chippy seems to make up a one gallon batches to 1000g of sugar, what kind of finished alcohol content does this give you?

My wife likes very light rose wine with little taste, around 12-13% ABV, would I be ok to use 2WGJ and 1RGJ wit the usual additives to get her a nice wine?

The three litres of juice will give you 480ish grams of sugar which will only give you 5 or 6%. Add another 650grams to get an ABV of around 12%. I make my wows with a kilo of sugar and they generally come out at 14-15%

so basically each 100g of sugars gives around 1%ABV per gallon of brew? Or am I being too simple.

Chippy seems to make up a one gallon batches to 1000g of sugar, what kind of finished alcohol content does this give you?

Most of my DJ's are old and hold 4.9 litres so I make my juice wines with 1100g of sugar which includes the sugar in the cartons, this gives roughly 13% ABV when topped up to the neck.

The modern ones (wilko) are smaller and only hold 4.5 litre so for the same ABV only use 1Kg

My wife likes very light rose wine with little taste, around 12-13% ABV, would I be ok to use 2WGJ and 1RGJ wit the usual additives to get her a nice wine?

Don't make it out of grape juice with nothing else added i have read it doesn't make great wine, Mrs Tea likes Rosé type wine and the cheapest and easiest to find in the supermarkets is 1 litre of Red Grape Juice and a litre of Apple juice.

You could try 1 litre WGJ with a litre of either pomegranate, raspberry or cranberry they all make a nice wine.

The red grape juice has a strong flavour so doesn't need anything strong adding to make it a nice wine, that is why apple works well.

As chippy says, the 1ltr rgj and 1ltr apple makes a nice rose. I make up the sugars up to around 1060g but stop the fermentation around 1004fg as my missus likes it with a bit of sweetness, this reduces the final abv a bit but I don't know by how much..

so basically each 100g of sugars gives around 1%ABV per gallon of brew? Or am I being too simple.

Back