WOWs not clearing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scaff

Regular.
Reaction score
I had a look in my cupboard earlier and i found 2 x dj of WOW i done months ago {red grape and apple or red grape and mixed fruit juice} these were fermented out and racked off a few times before storage, but they haven't cleared at all, i even added finings before storage and there's only a very fine layer of sediment in each.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could add more fining but if you are not too bothered about the look of it just drink it, I have drunk many glasses of cloudy wine with no ill effect.

Could be worth running it through a filter?
I had great results by doing this. Polishing the wine made it look like commercial wine.

IMG_20121015_133202.jpg

Did a red grape and apple that wasn't clearing so well. I drew off a glass, added a teaspoon of pectolase and stirred it till it had dissolved completely. Poured it back into the DJ and used a small dose (1ml) of Kwik Klear (liquids A & B) at the same time. 36 hours later it started clearing nicely. 72 hours it was done fully. Thin compact layer of sediment left over.

I let my wine sit in a secondary for two or three weeks and also use finings.
I have never had problems getting wines to clear (just lucky i guess) then run the whole 5 gallons through the filter.

I had a look in my cupboard earlier and i found 2 x dj of WOW i done months ago {red grape and apple or red grape and mixed fruit juice} these were fermented out and racked off a few times before storage, but they haven't cleared at all, i even added finings before storage and there's only a very fine layer of sediment in each.

Which fining did you use?

Only ever used Kwik Clear. Never got around to trying anything as this worked for me.

Only ever used Kwik Clear. Never got around to trying anything as this worked for me.

I also use KwiK Clear when i can get hold of it, am using Clear it at the moment which is also a 2 part fining and does a good job.

Back