Yeast cake

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brickie

Reaction score
I am going to rack a tc tommorow is it possible to reuse the yeast cake at the bottom or should I just throw it away?

Cheers

Yes it's possible but I've not yet tried it myself so I'll let somebody else advise on whether it needs to be washed etc or can just be lobbed into the next brew.

I've just got another 5 gallon batch of TC going using the recycled lees from my last TC, MLF was steaming along so it was hooching with lactobacillus. After racking the first one I just threw in another 23 litres of juice and malic acid/ tannin. It took a while to get going, probably because I didn't have any nutrient but it's happily bubbling away now. The original FV has developed a nice new pellicle of bacteria so MLF is continuing in the new vessel, and it's nice to know that the second batch is definitely going to be infected with the desirable bacteria also.

I would definitely say yes though I would take the yeast cake out and put it in a clean sterilised fv before starting over again. :thumb: :thumb:

You can re-use it. I've only done it once when I took the yeast cake from a particularly scrumpy cider I made from real apples and used it to brew a cider from juice. I was hoping it might make a similarly scrumpy-tasting cider, but I was disappointed because it just came out like any other turbo cider.

Latest posts

Back